With the beauty of the fall foliage behind us and all of the Thanksgiving leftovers long since eaten, Long Islanders can turn their attention to the stellar activities that the winter has to offer! Temperatures may be dropping, but staying warm won't be an issue thanks to three packed months of family fun.
Want to go sledding on one of the giant hills that Long Island is known for? How about a quiet evening ice skating with a loved one? Or maybe you just want to relax by the fire and enjoy a steaming cup of hot chocolate? Regardless of which winter activities are your favorites, there is plenty of time to enjoy them all!
If you haven't already created your Winter 2017-18 Bucket List, be sure to check out some of our suggestions below and prepare for your moxt exciting winter yet!
Holiday Season Activities
Winter this year got an early start with Hanukkah, and the holiday cheer will continue through Christmas and New Year's. As these exciting holidays are all packed into the beginning of the season, the arrival of winter will certainly be met with some fantastic events and local happenings!
- Experience one of the many spectacular light shows that Long Island has to offer!
- The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be shining bright until January 7th!
- Spend some quality time with the family while indulging at a delicious Santa Brunch!
- Ring in the New Year by partaking in one of the dozens of New Year's Eve celebrations on LI!
- Stay warm while assembling an awe-inspiring gingerbread house!
- Capture the perfect family moment for your Christmas cards at a local landmark!
- Finding great sports for the Elf on the Shelf is an activity that the entire family can enjoy!
- Create some original ornaments to give as gifts or decorate your own tree with!
- Easily whip up some delicious holiday candies!
Fun To Enjoy All Winter Long
Spring will be here before we all know it, which means that squeezing in all of the fun that a Long Island winter has to offer will be quite the challenge. With a little creative planning, though, you'll be able to enjoy many of the season's most cherished activities!
- Explore fascinating exhibits at one of Long Island's 100+ museums!
- Warm up in the kitchen by creating some delicious seasonal treats!
- Showcase your creativity by making a winter craft in the comfort of your own home!
- It may be winter, but thousands of tropical fish will be swimming around at local aquariums!
- Whip up a delicious cup of homemade hot chocolate!
- Embrace your competitive spirit and bowl a few games with family and friends!
- Curl up on the couch and watch one of the season's most beloved films!
- Catch a memorable performance by one of LI's hardworking theatre companies!
- Lace up those ice skates and prepare for a thrilling afternoon or evening at an ice rink!
- Experience the adrenaline surge that comes with sledding down one of LI's well-known hills!
- The clear winter sky provides the perfect opportunity for a little stargazing!
- Lend a hand to a neighbor or family member by shoveling a driveway or walkway!
- Immerse yourself in a gripping novel at one of Long Island's best independent bookstores!
- The Gold Coast has some absolutely spectacular homes that are open for public tours!
- Utilize some of the freshly-fallen snow for snowmen, snow forts, and igloos!
Holidays and Special Events: MLK Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and More!
After the Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year's have come and gone, there will still be a number of exhilarating holidays spread across the remaining winter months to enjoy!
- Gather some ingredients and make some mouthwatering appetizers to serve during the big game!
- Enjoy a cold one and some delicious wings while watching the game at a nearby brew pub!
MLK Day & Black History Month
- Pitch in and spend Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday volunteering for a local organization!
- Read up on some of the most influential African Americans that have called Long Island home!
Valentine's Day Fun
- Show your special someone how much you care by preparing a one-of-a-kind surprise!
- Thank Mom for all she has done in your life by getting her a lovely gift!
- Learn all about the history of Valentine's Day and prepare for your most memorable holiday yet!
St. Patrick's Day Entertainment
- Search for a four-leaf clover and then preserve the luck for the rest of the year!
- Wow friends and family with a homemade dish that will be the hit of your St. Patrick's Day gathering!
- Prepare for the arrival of St. Patrick's Day by learning about the holiday's symbols and traditions!
What does your Winter 2018-19 Bucket List look like? Let us know in the comments below!