The Meaning of Valentine's Day
The Meaning of Valentine's Day
What does Valentine's Day mean to you?
According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- she visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France. - The History Channel
50 Ways to please your lover...
1. Prepare heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast or pick out the clovers, diamonds, moons and stars from a box of Lucky Charms cereal to leave only the marshmallow hearts as a symbol of your love.
2. Buy a cuddly teddy bear.
3. Send flowers from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM
4. Send cookie roses or a gift basket filled with chocolate chip cookies.
5. Send a Personalized Valentine's Day Cards at Hallmark.com!.
6. To add a bit of suspense, send your beloved an invitation to his or her Valentine's day surprise. Then use your imagination and some of these tips to create an unforgettable Valentine's Day adventure.
7. Take a romantic stroll. Prepare a picnic lunch and share it at your favorite Long Island park or beach.
9. Perfume and cologne make great gifts.
10. And no one can resist jewelry.
11. Lingerie makes a sexy gift and adds spice.
12. WIN A $500 JEWELRY GIFT CERTIFICATE by taking a short survey.
13. A day of beauty at a spa is a wonderful gift or just might be what he or she needs to get in a romantic mood.
14. Buy a Map of Long Island and plan a day of sightseeing.
15. Still can't decide? Shop online for a unique gift.
16. If the gift is small enough disguise it in a box of chocolates.
17. Place love notes around your home for your loved one to follow the trail to find his or her gift.
18. Make a list of romantic and creative items needed then create a scavenger hunt, i.e. bath oil, a cork screw, whipped cream, etc.
19. Send a love coupon.
20. If your budget allows you might want to rent a Long Island limousine for the evening and go out for a night on the town.
21. Or, take a Romantic Dinner Cruise across Long Island.
22. Crack open a bottle of champagne and drop candy hearts in the glasses with your Valentine's day message.
24. Surprise him or her with tickets to a Long Island concert or show.
25. Take your Valentine to an ice skating or roller skating rink on Long Island, NY.
26. Or, how about Dinner & Dancing?
27. For a change, try a trip to a Long Island Winery.
28. Take a Long Island Trolley tour.
30. Or, order some take-out food.
31. Cook a special dinner for just the two of you, plan the menu and just stay in.
32. After dinner, you might want to catch a movie.
33. Or, relax at home by renting a video.
34. Play board games such as Scrabble but change the rules so you can only spell words related to love & romance.
36. Buy a disposable camera and take funny snap shots throughout the day.
37. Create a list of the top ten reasons why you love your Valentine, have him or her do the same, then compare your lists.
38. Catch a jazz band or some live music on Long Island.
39. Dance the night away at a Long Island night club.
40. Have a few laughs at a Long Island comedy club.
41. Profess your love through song at a Long Island karaoke club.
42. Or, if you spent all the money your Mom gave you for singing lessons, you might want to hire chorus singers to send a singing valentine.
43. Write a poem or confess your secret desires.
44. Call one your Valentine's favorite Long Island radio stations and dedicate 'your song'.
45. Send a rose.
46. Relax your mate with a warm bath and some romantically placed candles.
47. Sprinkle rose petals across the bath water or scatter them around the bed.
48. Throw in a hot oil body massage to cap off the perfect evening.
49. If you're married you might want to get a sitter and spend the night at a Long Island Hotel with your spouse.
50. Valentine's Day falls on a Thursday this year, but you might want to plan an extended weekend at a Long Island Bed & Breakfast or Hotel and see if they are offering Valentine's Day specials.
If you're single on Long Island make the night of it, there are plenty of Long Island singles events and people looking for love on Long Island, especially on Valentine's Day. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and show how much you really appreciate your Long Island Valentine!