Albany, NY - October 25, 2015 - New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and Missouri Governor Jay Nixon today announced an interstate wager on the matchup between the New York Mets and the Kansas City Royals in the 2015 World Series, which begins on Tuesday, Oct. 27. If the Mets win, Governor Nixon will wear a Mets jersey to work for a full day. If the Royals win, Governor Cuomo will do the same, wearing a Royals jersey.
“This year’s World Series is a matchup between two truly great teams – but there is no doubt in my mind that the Miracle Mets are going on to win it all,” said Governor Cuomo. “The Mets’ strength, skill and leadership sets them apart from every other team, and their fans are truly without equal. From my hometown of Queens to stadiums across the country, this team has proven that they have what it takes to clinch the World Series, and I’m confident that is exactly what they will do. I thank Governor Nixon for his participation in this friendly wager and think he will look great in blue and orange.”
“The Royals have earned their second consecutive berth in the Fall Classic through strong pitching, discipline at the plate, spectacular defense, and a dedicated fan base at the K that is second-to-none,” Governor Nixon said. “Good as the Metropolitans have been in the postseason, I don’t see them overcoming this playoff-seasoned team. In the highly unlikely event the Mets prevail, I’ve wagered a few items representative of the best of Kansas City and Missouri food, sports and technology. But with the Royals’ home-field advantage and never-say-die spirit, I look forward to having Governor Cuomo send us the offerings from New York, come November.”
Additionally, if the Mets win, Governor Nixon will send Governor Cuomo:
- A commemorative jersey from the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, a Kansas City landmark that commemorates the accomplishments of the great players of the Negro Leagues such as Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and Buck O’Neill who played for the Kansas City Monarchs, New York Cuban Giants and other teams;
- a bag of 20th anniversary platinum edition blend coffee from The Roasterie in Kansas City;
- world-famous barbecue ribs from Kansas City’s own Gates BBQ; and
- a Ford F-150 baseball cap, to signify how Missouri is at the forefront of the American auto industry, with the award-winning F-150 truck built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant, which produces more vehicles than any other Ford plant in the world.
If the Royals win, Governor Cuomo will send Governor Nixon:
- A hat from the Baseball Hall of Fame, a Cooperstown institution that celebrates the history of baseball and its place in American culture;
- bagels from Jrs Bagel factory in Queens;
- original Anchor Bar wing sauce from Western New York;
- Gianelli’s hot Italian Sausage from Central New York;
A sampling of great products from New York's burgeoning craft beverage industry including:
- Sheldrake Point Winery’s award-winning Riesling from the Finger Lakes;
- Hudson Maple Cask Rye from Tuthilltown Spirits in the Hudson Valley;
- Nine Pin Cider from the Capital Region;
- Pumking from the Southern Tier Brewing Company;
- Big Slide IPA from the Lake Placid Brewing Company in the North Country; and
- Toasted Lager from the Blue Point Brewing Company on Long Island.
The first game of the best-of-seven 2015 World Series will be played Tuesday, Oct. 27 at 8:07PM EST, in Kansas City.
Last fall, Governor Cuomo and Governor Nixon traveled together to Afghanistan as part of a four-governor delegation to meet with U.S. troops and to be briefed on security matters.