Suffolk County Police have apprehended five suspects who they believe to have conducted a string of burglaries in the Town of Islip, including stealing car batteries from cars impounded at the Islip Impound Yard.
Third Squad detectives had been investigating into 11 commercial burglaries in West Islip, East Islip, Islip, Bay Shore, Bayport, Sayville, and Deer Park from October 2013 to January 2014. There was also one residential burglary that took place in Islip found to be related to the commercial burglaries, where burglars stole money, cell phones, and computers.
Four men between the ages of 17 and 23 were arrested for the burglaries, primarily targeting shops in Islip and sneaking in after the stores closed. Three of the men, as well as an additional suspect, were arrested for entering the Islip Town Impound Yard and stealing ten car batteries and other items from vehicles that were stored there.
Detectives believe that the five individuals took part in the burglaries to fuel their drug habits.
The following individuals were arrested by Suffolk County Police:
- Kevin Alver, 21, of 23 Fischer Ave., Islip Terrace, was charged with 11 counts of Burglary 3rd Degree, one count of Burglary 2nd Degree, one count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th Degree, one count of Petit Larceny and one count of Criminal Trespass.
- Christopher Craft, 22, of 1321 Lombardy Blvd., Bay Shore, was charged with 12 counts of Burglary 3rd Degree and one count of Burglary 2nd Degree.
- Kenneth Dillman, 18, of 28 Melanni Place, East Islip, was charged with one count of Burglary 2nd Degree and one count of Petit Larceny and one count of Criminal Trespass
- Thomas Miller, 17, of 350 North Fulton Ave., Lindenhurst, was charged with one count of Burglary 3rd Degree and one count of Petit Larceny and one count of Criminal Trespass.
- Lindsay Motts, 17, of 122 Marie St., Lindenhurst, was charged with Petit Larceny and one count of Criminal Trespass.
Alver, Craft, Dillman, and Miller were held overnight and arraigned in Central Islip on Thursday. Motts is schedule to be arraigned at a later date.
[Source: Suffolk County Police Department]