Nassau County, NY - February 9th, 2016 - It has come to the attention of the Nassau County Police Department that Tire and Rim larcenies are frequently occurring throughout the County. Since September 2015, there have been 116 Tire and Rim larcenies.
Individuals are targeting mostly newer model Mercedes-Benz, Honda, and Toyota vehicles. The larcenies are occurring in the overnight hours between midnight and 4am.
County Executive Edward P. Mangano and Acting Police Commissioner Thomas C. Krumpter are urging citizens to be vigilant and report any suspicious vehicles or people in the area, as Individuals may be driving around looking for the targeted vehicles prior to committing the larcenies.
Other characteristics of Tire and Rim Larcenies:
- Individuals may loosen lug nuts from vehicles and return to the location in the early morning hours.
- Vehicles are being left on jacks, cinderblocks, or paving stones.
- May occur during periods of heavy rain, when noises will remain undetected by the resident.
- Ensure that your driveway is well lit throughout the night.
- Install surveillance cameras that can alert you if there is movement in front of your home.
- Purchase wheel locks for your vehicle.
- Utilize your garage for overnight parking.
This information is being provided to residents to make them aware of these ongoing Tire and Rim larcenies. If you believe you may have been a victim of these larcenies, please call 911 immediately.
Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the individual(s) responsible is asked to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS (8477). All calls remain anonymous.