Weather Alert  

WIND ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT WEDNESDAY * WHAT...North winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph expected. * WHERE...In Connecticut, Northern New London, Southern Middlesex, Southern New Haven and Northern Middlesex Counties. In New York, Southwest Suffolk and Northwest Suffolk Counties. * WHEN...Until 2 PM EDT Wednesday. * IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.

Williston Park Man Sentenced to 1-1/3 to 4 Years in Prison for Hit-and-Run Death of Albertson Man

Kalenka ran over victim, fled the scene, and removed a damaged piece of his vehicle.

Print Email

Williston Park, NY - October 17th, 2013 - Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice announced today that a Williston Park man has been sentenced to 1-1/3 to 4 years in prison for the hit-and-run death of an Albertson man who was returning home from work in Garden City.

Raymond Kalenka, 46, was convicted of Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Death and Tampering With Physical Evidence by Judge Jerald Carter after a two-week bench trial in August.

“This defendant had every opportunity to remain at the scene and contact the police, but he chose to leave a dying man in the street and hide the evidence of what he had done,” DA Rice said. “Mr. Kalenka showed no regard for the victim’s condition after the incident -- only saving his own skin.”

DA Rice said that at approximately 3:45 a.m. on August 12, 2012, Kalenka was driving his silver 2006 Mercedes-Benz northbound on Broad Street in Williston Park when he hit 41-year-old Dean LaLima, who was lying in the roadway. LaLima, who was returning home from his job as a manager at Grimaldi’s Pizzeria in Garden City, suffered a fractured skull, collarbone and pelvis, and crushing injuries to his head and legs. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

After running over LaLima, Kalenka continued driving to his home on Yale Street approximately 500 feet from the scene. Kalenka removed a piece of the driver’s side inner fender liner that had been knocked loose when he hit LaLima. The removed piece has never been found. Kalenka then returned to the scene and drove away without notifying police.

Members of the Nassau County Police Department’s Homicide Squad – Vehicular Crimes Section arrested Kalenka at his home two days later based on physical evidence left at the scene and witness statements. The judge rejected the defense’s claims that Kalenka was unaware that he had hit a person.

Assistant District Attorneys Katie E. Zizza and Christopher M. Casa of DA Rice’s Vehicular Crimes Bureau are prosecuting the case. Kalenka is represented by Brian Davis, Esq.