Long Island, NY - February 18, 2014 - A growing number of state and local legislators are figuratively going to the dogs and cats by hosting a pet food drive to collect dog and cat food to support Baxter's Pet Pantry at Long Island Cares, Inc. Since 2009, Long Island Cares, Inc. - The Harry Chapin Food Bank has delivered more than 500,000 pounds of dog and cat food, as well as a variety of pet products to its network of 590 community-based member agencies. The Pet Pantry is supported by donations from the pet food industry and generous Long Island pet lovers. No agency funds are used in providing this unique service. According to Elana Sissons, Food Drive Coordinator, for Long Island Cares, Inc., "The purpose of distributing pet food to families in need is to avoid having pets placed in shelters or abandoned because families might be having difficulty in securing pet food."
The following legislators have already joined Long Island Cares in scheduling a pet food drive anywhere from February 1 - March 31, 2014 at their district offices:
- NYS Senator Dean G. Skelos
- NYS Senator John Flanagan
- NYS Senator Philip Boyle
- NYS Assemblyman Joseph Saladino
- NYS Assemblyman David McDonough
- Suffolk Legislator Monica Martinez
- Nassau Legislator Dave Denenberg
- Suffolk Legislator John M. Kennedy
- Nassau Legislator Richard Nicolello
- NYS Assemblyman Chad Lupinacci
- Nassau Legislator Norma Gonsalves
- Nassau Legislator Laura Schaefer
- Suffolk Legislator Sarah Anker
- Suffolk Legislator Kevin McCaffrey
- Suffolk Legislator Robert Trotta
- Suffolk Legislator Kara Hahn
- Suffolk Legislator DuWayne Gregory
- Suffolk Legislator Robert Calarco
- Suffolk Legislator Tom Cilmi
People wanting to donate pet food can contact their state or local legislator's district office, or they can purchase a special pet food gift bag at any PETCO store location on Long Island. Donations can also be made at any of Long Island Cares' three locations: Hauppauge; Freeport, and Lindenhurst.
For more information please email Elana Sissons at: email@example.com or call (631) 582-3663.