Nassau County, NY - February 3, 2016 - Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced the schedule for the 2016 Spring Lifeguard Instruction Courses at the Nassau County Aquatic Center.
Information for Lifeguard Instruction Course is as follows:
Registration starts: Sunday, February 7th at 9:00 a.m.
Pre-Test: Sunday, February 14th at 9:00 a.m.
Class day and time: Sundays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Dates: February 28th – April 17th (no class on 3/27)
Cost: $250.00 (includes class/book/materials); $6.00 class registration fee (due when signing up for pre-test)
• Participants must be at least 16 years old before the last date of the class.
• Registrants must pass a pre-test in order to participate in the class. Pre-test requirements are listed below.
• Registration is first come, first serve. Class size is limited to 10 spots. A Nassau County Leisure Pass is required at the time of registration.
• After 10 spots are filled, a waitlist will be formed to fill in any pre-test failures. There is no fee to be placed on the waitlist.
• The $250 fee to be paid before the first class starts but only after passing the pre-test.
• No absences are permitted. Registration and program fees are non-refundable.
• Swim 300 yards continuously using only these strokes in the following order: 100 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing propellant kick; 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence; and 100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 100 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke. (Note: There is no time requirement for this skill. The participant must show only that he or she can swim 300 yards using the above strokes without stopping).
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke; surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet of water, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. The time is complete once the participant has exited the water and is standing up on the pool deck.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs. Candidates should place their hands under their arm pits.
All schedules are subject to change.
Centrally located in Eisenhower Park on Merrick Avenue in East Meadow, the Nassau County Aquatic Center is one of the premier swimming facilities in the country. Built in 1998 for the Goodwill Games, it serves the general public as well as competitive swimmers. The Aquatic Center regularly hosts college and local high school competitive swimming and diving meets and has hosted scores of Olympians, including Michael Phelps. For a detailed listing of class offerings, please call the Aquatic Center at: (516) 572-0501 or visit the Nassau County Parks, Recreation and Museums website.