Defendant was Allegedly Driving Drunk, Left Scene of Crash.
“The impact of the crash was so strong, it shattered the front windshield of the defendant’s car,” District Attorney Sini said. “And yet, he did not even stop to see if the victim was injured or to call for help. This individual showed a disregard for the law by allegedly driving while intoxicated and a disregard for human life when he fled the scene of the crash.”
Robert Slawinski, 48, of Mastic, was indicted on new charges of Vehicular Manslaughter in the First Degree, a C felony; two counts of Vehicular Manslaughter in the Second Degree, a D felony; and Leaving the Scene of an Incident Resulting in Death Without Reporting, a D felony.
Slawinski was indicted in December 2017 on charges of Vehicular Assault in the First Degree, a D felony; two counts of Vehicular Assault in the Second Degree, an E felony; and Leaving the Scene of an Incident Resulting in Serious Physical Injury Without Reporting, an E felony. He is also charged with Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated and two counts of Driving While Intoxicated, which are all unclassified misdemeanors.
At approximately 10:15 p.m. on Sept. 10, 2017, Slawinski was driving a 2010 Jeep Wrangler on Old Town Road in Coram while on his way home from a bar in the East Setauket area when he allegedly struck a pedestrian, Anthony Loiodici, 48, of Medford.
Following the crash, Slawinski allegedly fled the scene in the Jeep, which had a shattered front windshield from the impact. Approximately one hour later, he called 911 to report that he might have hit something while driving.
Six hours after the crash, a blood test revealed Slawinski’s blood alcohol content to be .12 percent.
“Especially as we head into Super Bowl weekend, the message bears repeating: Do not, under any circumstances, get behind the wheel of a car if you have been drinking,” District Attorney Sini said. “The consequences could be fatal for you, your passengers, or others on the road.”
Slawinski was arraigned on the superseding indictment today in front of Suffolk County Court Judge Anthony Senft Jr. Bail was transferred from the superseded indictment in the amount of $100,000 bond, which Slawinski previously posted. He is due back in court on Feb. 21.
If convicted, Slawinski faces a maximum sentence of seven and one-third to 22 years in prison.
This case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Marc Lindemann, of the Vehicular Crime Bureau.
A criminal charge is an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.