Though the days of spending relaxing afternoons on local beaches may be gone for another year, the falling leaves and cooler temperatures are the basis for perhaps Long Island's most beautiful time of year. Not to mention, the start of autumn brings with it three full months of sensational seasonal activities!
Fall is a time for picking pumpkins and apples, immersing yourself in a spine-tingling experience at a haunted house, driving out east to bask in the stunning display of changing leaves, and countless other options for enjoying time with friends and family.
At 121 miles from end-to-end, Long Island's size and breadth of activities means that you're going to have to plan accordingly to enjoy it all. We have created our Fall 2018 Bucket List to help you add items to your own list and to make sure that you don't miss out on any of the memorable autumn experiences waiting to be had!
- Find your way out of one of the East End's enormous corn mazes!
- Savor the stunning seasonal sights on one of Long Island's hiking trails!
- Carve up one of the pumpkins you picked to make a spooky Jack-o'-lantern or other Halloween favorites!
- Sip delicious wines during a trip to the East End's renowned vineyards!
- Put your endurance and racing skills to the test at an adrenaline-pumping 5K race!
- Search for the best apples at one of LI's U-Pick farms!
- Scream your heart out at an absolutely terrifying haunted house or spook trail!
- Appreciate a locally-created masterpiece at an LI art gallery!
- Stroll around a historic LI village like Port Jefferson, Northport, or Patchogue!
- Indulge in the freshest fruits, vegetables, and baked goods at seasonal farmers markets!
- Embark on a valiant quest for the perfect pumpkin at a Suffolk County farm!
- Sip the best pumpkin beers and other seasonal brews at nearby breweries!
- Skate around one of the indoor or outdoor ice skating rinks located on LI!
- Gather the family for an afternoon at one of the many scheduled fall festivals!
- Warm up at a local cafe with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate!
- Light up a fall afternoon by visiting one of Long Island's magnificent lighthouses!
- Support local organizations by volunteering your time at food pantries, animal shelters, and more!
A pumpkin-picking adventure creates family memories that will be savored for a lifetime! Photo via Pixabay
- Hop on a bike and take in the unbelievable fall colors at a local park!
- Compete for spares and strikes at a bowling alley with friends and family!
- Spend an afternoon aboard a rollicking hayride at a local farm!
- Create your own original decorations to celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving!
- Tap your foot to the rhythm of a rock band or enjoy the relaxing sounds of an orchestra at a local concert!
- Expand your mind with a trip to one of the 100+ museums located on Long Island!
- Read a fantastic book (purchased at a local independent bookstore, of course) while curled up next to a fire!
- Laugh along with a talented comedian while staying warm on a chilly evening at a comedy club!
- Sprawl out under a blanket of stars during a family camping trip at a county park or beach!
- Plan a road trip to appreciate the dazzling fall colors in upstate New York!
- Cast a line at a local river or shoreline for an afternoon of fishing fun!
- Put your puzzle-solving skills to work with a mind-bending escape room experience!
- Visit one of Long Island's botanical gardens and arboretums to appreciate nature!
- Concentrate on your form and master the trickiest sections of Nassau and Suffolk's mini golf courses!
- Open your mind and heart to an oustanding live production at a local performing arts center!