A New Year signifies change. A New Year means endings - putting an end to bad habits, walking away from anything that was leaving you feeling unfulfilled. A New Year also means beginnings, wonderful beginnings, like picking up a new hobby, finding a new job, finding love. In a time where mankind is more globally connected than ever before, most individuals feel more isolated and alone than in previous decades. So why not get out there, meet new people make friends and form lasting bonds. The following list contains events, business, clubs and organizations where it would be near impossible not to find someone else in need of friends to strike up a conversation with.
- Nassau County Women’s Club – A club for women of all ages, backgrounds and creeds to get out, mingle and enjoy life. Events are planned a few times a year including bowling trips, cookie swaps, beach days, movie nights and holiday parties. Membership is free and with the understanding that life is a busy ride members are not expected to show up to every outing but in order to stay a member women must attend at least four activity outings or meetings a year.
- Friday Nights with Cowboy Kevin – From 6:30pm-9:30pm Cowboy Kevin hosts an exciting open mic night at the Castello di Borghese. Admission is free and wine is available for purchase by the wine or bottle.
- Palm Readings – Get your palm read and see what your future has in store for with with reader Joan Bernhardt. $20 for a reading, $5 glasses of wine and $5 cheese platters and discounted wine bottles. Readings are held at Shinn Estate Vineyards on Friday evenings, beginning at 5:30 and ending at 7:30. Get there early to reserve your reading.
- Winemakers Walk – Take a guided tour of the winery and production facility at Castello di Borghese. The tour is $20 per person and includes wine tasting. Tours are held on Thursdays and Sundays at 1pm, July through October, and on Saturdays at 1pm, November through June.
Shinn Estate Vineyards also has a 30 minute vineyard walk every Saturday and Sunday at 1:30 with Barbara Shinn. Take in the splendor of the20-acre land and she explains the growth cycle of the vine. The tour is $12.50 per person and includes tasting of four wines.
- Sunday Dinner with Grandma – “Grandma” gives a demonstration on the art of preparing a three-course Sunday dinner. Each weeks class with feature different pasta and each demo will feature an antipasti, pasta and dessert paired with a Diliberto wine. Classes will be held at Diliberto Winery every Sunday 1pm-3pm beginning January 22nd and continuing through till April 15, 2012. Seats are limited so make your reservations early.
- Super Bowl Sunday Evensts at you’re sure to hit it off with someone rooting for your favorite team at Super Bowl 2012. Or maybe you’ll form a bond over hating the same teams. Who knows unless you make it to the party!
- Nutty Irishman, 60 East Main Street, Bay Shore - (631) 969-9700
- Nutty Irishman, 323 Main Street, Farmingdale - (516) 293-9700
- Mr. Beery’s, 4019 Hempstead Turnpike, Bethpage - (516) 579-7049
- Changing Times, 526B Larkfield Road, East Northport – (631) 368-3255
- Changing Times, 1247 Melville Road, Farmingdale – (631) 694-6462
- North Fork Craft Beer, BBQ and Wine Festival – August 11, 2012, enjoy wines from Martha Clara Vineyards, gourmet barbecue from Maple Tree BBQ and live band Mystery Plan – a 6 piece band covering classic and current rock, pop, funk and dance music. Ticket prices range from $15 for the designated driver, $55 general admission and $80 VIP. Funds go to Beer for Brains Foundation, the Kent Animal Shelter and the Terry Farrell Fire Fighters Fund.
- Macabre Fair - Presented by Twitch Twitch Productions and featuring actor Doug Jones from movies such as Pan’s Labyrinth, Hellboy I & II, Fantastic Four, Legion and Hocus Pocus. Ticket prices range from $14-$40.
- I-CON 31 – Long Island’s Sci-FI convention held at Stony Brook University. Special guests this year include Sylvester MCoy – the 7th incarnation of Dr. Who, Daphne Ashbrook and Nana Visitor of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Jeremy Bullock of Star Wars Boba Fett fame, and many, many more. Ticket prices range from $44 for students/seniors, $54 for an adult 3-day pass, and $99 for an Emerald Pass.