Strong Rip Currents Expected Through the Fourth of July, Rain Likely on Independence Day

Nature & Weather, Local News, Seasonal & Current Events

The NWS has issued a Rip Current Statement and Hazardous Weather Outlook for the week.

The National Weather Service has issued a Rip Current Statement for today, July 1, warning of a rip current risk from 2 PM this afternoon through the evening on South Shore beaches. Risks will be higher in Nassau and Southwestern Suffolk, and moderate in Southeastern Suffolk.

Rip currents are powerful channels of water moving quickly away from the shoreline. They occur most frequently at low spots or breaks in the sandbar; higher risks denote conditions that support strong currents and moderate risks imply the development of more frequent currents.

Risks are expected to continue at least through the Fourth of July and may extend even further, causing the NWS to also issue a Hazardous Weather Outlook. Flash flooding will be possible Thursday during the day and night as a cold front moves slowly through the area.

If you find yourself caught in a rip current remain calm and swim parallel to the shore until you have escaped the strength of the current, then begin to swim back to the beach. Attempting to swim against a rip current can exhaust even a strong swimmer.

In addition to a chance of strong currents on Friday, there is also a likelihood of rain predicted for Independence Day. As of Tuesday morning, the National Weather Service was predicting a 60% chance of showers mainly before noon, and a mostly cloudy Friday night with a 40% chance of rain.

For the most up to date forecast information visit the Long Island Weather Center.

Take a look at traffic conditions on the Fourth before you leave the house with the Long Island Traffic Cameras.

[Source: NWS]
Image via NWS New York's Official Facebook Page
.

comments powered by Disqus

Join Our Weekly Newsletter

Sign up for a free weekly newsletter covering things to do, hottest local headlines, and everything Long Island! Read more here or enter your email to signup.

   
     Newsletter Archive
Advertisement
Advertise With Us
 
Open Feedback Dialog