Long Island Dog Walks - Dog Friendly Parks
Dog Walks and Dog Friendly Recreation on Long Island
Animals are generally not permitted in parks on Long Island, however, dogs restrained by a leash under 6 feet in length may be brought into specific areas of several parks (though not buildings, camping, bathing, or picnic areas). The parks listed below generally allow dogs in certain areas. You can click on the links provided for more specific information about each park.
Keep in mind that each park has rules and regulations with regard to where you can and cannot take your pet. To find out more about each park’s rules and regulations, get more specific information, or driving directions consider calling the park directly.
Dog Friendly Parks on Long Island
- Belmont Lake State Park (Babylon, NY): Undeveloped trail starting at northeast corner of parking lot and ending by maintenance buildings.
- Blydenburgh County Park (Smithtown, NY): A 1.8 acre fenced park with separate areas for large and small dogs, where owners can let their pets off the leash and allow them to interact with other dogs.
- Camp Hero State Park (Montauk, NY): Dogs allowed on a leash no more than six feet long.
- Cedar Creek Park (Seaford, NY): Enclosed dog run is available; owners are responsible for clean-up and dogs permitted in run area only.
- Christopher Morley Park (Port Washington, NY): An enclosed dog run is located near the maintenance building. Owners are responsible for clean-up.
- Governor Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow (Kings Park, NY): No access from park, east end of park, access from Old Dock Road. East of Sunken Meadow Pkwy. and South of Rt. 25A, access from 25A.
- Heckscher State Park (East Islip, NY): Undeveloped trails, west of toll booths, park in back of field 4 and walk to field 5.
- Hempstead Lake State Park (West Hempstead, NY): Undeveloped areas that are open to the public. Unpaved path at field 3 and adjacent to Schodak Creek.
- Hither Hills State Park (Montauk, NY): North of Montauk Pkwy., south of beach area east of Napeague Harbor and west of overlook parking.
- Town of Huntington Dog Park (East Northport, NY): Next to Huntington Animal Shelter for Town of Huntington residents off Pulaski on Deposit Road.
- Montauk Point State Park (Montauk, NY): Area from west of refreshment stand to just beyond Oyster Pond.
- Nickerson Beach Park (Lido Beach, NY): Enclosed dog run is available; owners are responsible for clean-up and dogs permitted in run area only.
- Shadmoor State Park (Montauk, NY): Dogs on a leash not more than six feet long.
- Wantagh Park (Wantagh, NY): Enclosed dog run is located near the maintenance building. Owners are responsible for clean-up and must leash their dogs from the car to the run.
- West Hills Park (Huntington, NY): Pets must be leashed at all times. Except in designated Dog Run Areas. When walking, your pet must be on a leash no more than 6 feet in length. See park detail page for additional rules and regulations.
Animal Shelters on Long Island
Long Island Pets - Get information for Pet Services on Long Island
Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation & Museums - 516- 572-0200
Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation & Conservation - 631-854-4949