Keeping cool does not always mean staying inside as you crank the air conditioning. This summer, get creative with different ways to cool down both outside and inside. The major thing to keep in mind is sun safety, so be sure to always wear sunscreen outdoors, wear a hat, stay in the shade when you can, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. Also, hydration is key to staying cool either inside or outside, so be sure to always keep water on hand, and to also make sure that your children are drinking enough water. When you are ready and safe from the sun, try some of these other tips and techniques to keep you and your family cool this summer.
- Of course on Long Island, the number one way to cool down is to go for a swim at the beach. Instead of going to the same old spot, explore a new Long Island beach and discover the beauty of both North Shore and South Shore beaches.
- Don’t have a pool of your own? Pack up the car and take a ride to any of these great public swimming pools, many of which are located at parks and state parks where your kids can also enjoy running around on the playgrounds before taking a refreshing dip in the water.
- Families with kids should definitely take advantage of the free sprinkler parks that are part of some local parks, such as the sprinklers at the park next to the Nesconset Library or at Eisenhower Park.
- Splish Splash is Long Island’s largest water park, and it has it all: sprinklers, slides, a lazy river, and water rides for every age group. Be sure to go early in the morning to beat the lines.
- If you really have a taste for adventure, try scuba diving in the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. There are many scuba diving groups that offer lessons by trained professionals who can get you ready before you take the plunge.
- If you do not own a jet ski or know someone who does, rent a jet ski for an exciting afternoon on the water. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about the maintenance – just pick up your jet ski and go!
- Keep the shades drawn during the day to keep your house cool without cranking the air conditioner.
- Stop by your local movie theater to bask in the air conditioning while enjoying the latest film, and be sure to check out our reviews before you go.
- Have an educational and cool day by going museum hopping at Museum Row or at other smaller museums that are more local.
We have some of the best drink recipes that will keep you cool and also come in handy for entertaining. Get plenty of ice ready, and stir up some of these tasty beverages!