1- 3.5lb. Broiler-fryer chicken 1/2 cup Quick Barley 1 large chopped Onion 1/2 lb. sliced Mushrooms 3 medium stalks chopped Celery 3 medium sliced Carrots 1 tblsp. Salad oil 2- 14 oz. cans of Chicken broth 1/2 tsp. Salt 1/2 tsp. Pepper
1) In 8-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat, in hot salad oil, cook carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, and 3 tablespoons water, stirring frequently, until vegetables are golden.
2) Rinse chicken, its neck, and gizzard with running cold water. Into Dutch oven with vegetables, place chicken, breast-side down; add neck, gizzard, chicken broth, and 5 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout. Remove chicken, its neck, and gizzard to bowl; refrigerate until cool enough to handle.
3) While chicken is cooling, skim fat from liquid in Dutch oven. Add barley, salt, and pepper; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until barley is tender.
4) When chicken is cool, pull meat from neck and chop gizzard. Discard bones, skin, and fat from chicken; cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces.
5) When barley is tender, stir in chicken meat and gizzard; heat through.