When it comes to summer, Long Island has it all: beaches, trails, concerts, amusement parks, shopping, and so much more! Instead of doing the same old things this summer, expand your horizons to all of what the area has to offer. Make this Summer the best one yet by building your own summer bucket list, and don’t forget to include friends and family in your plans! There is tons to do for families that will appeal to children and adults alike, such as chartering a fishing boat for the afternoon, traversing the Greenbelt Trail, or even heading indoors to enjoy the air conditioning while bowling on the hottest days.
You can also take this as the summer to try something new. Instead of merely lounging on the beach, try learning to surf, or rent a kayak to perfect your skills on the water. You can even try out new barbecue and grill recipes for lunch, dinner, and even dessert, which you can also find here on our bucket list. Whatever your interest, this summer bucket list will certainly stave off the summertime blues!
Here's what's on our Summer Bucket List for 2015:
- Earn some serious bragging rights by hiking from shore to shore along the Greenbelt Trail.
- Catch a free concert, which is easy since there are several free summer concert series to look forward to.
- See a show at one of the most popular venues in the tri-state area: Nikon at Jones Beach Theater.
- Between Montauk and Manhattan there are many excuses to take a long weekend and plan a Long Island staycation.
- Throw a patriotic picnic for your family and friends on 4th of July.
- And, if all goes well, repeat for Labor Day.
- Why wait for a designated federal holiday? Any summer day is great for a backyard luau!
- Combine amazing local wine and beautiful landscapes of the vineyards on Long Island’s east end.
- Whether you frequent one beach or visit several, make time to go to the beach as often as possible.
- Pick a sunny day to climb the Fire Island lighthouse and take photos from the top!
- A thrill for beginners and masters alike, nothing beats a friendly round of summertime mini golf.
- Enjoy a night under the stars camping on Long Island.
- Take a dip at a public pool, and meet some new friends while you’re at it.
- Expand your options for summer fun and learn to swim (if you don’t already know!)
- Find an unusual and fun outdoor challenges at the Adventure Park in Wheatley Heights.
- Admire the natural beauty of the island at an arboretum or garden.
- There’s no better time than summer to pick your own fresh produce.
- If you want to skip the picking and still enjoy the fresh, locally-grown produce, check out one of Long Island’s many farmers’ markets.
- Catch your next meal by going fishing on one of the many charter boat lines.
- Amaze your friends and try some new summer cocktails, or mix your own batch of Long Island Iced Tea.
- Enjoy a delicious meal along the coast at one of Long Island’s favorite waterfront restaurants.
- Have a kite flying contest with your buddies.
- Rent a boat or a jet ski for a fun day out on the water.
- The Nautical Mile in Freeport offers a full day of fun out on the town.
- Explore Port Jefferson and get in on the fishing, culture, and nightlife!
- Catch a show in Northport and enjoy a post-show meal on the water.
- Learn to ride a wave like a pro with local surfing lessons.
- Polish your amateur photography skills and record your summer highlights.
- Don’t let the summer rain get you down: check out Karts Indoor Raceway for some fast-paced fun.
- If the heat is unbearable, head indoors and go bowling.
- Bring out your inner child with an afternoon of tie dyeing.
- Expand your summer barbeque repertoire with these excellent barbeque recipes.
- Then, try out grilling your desserts too!
- Save money and eat healthy with easy homemade ice cream.
- Embrace the Hamptons lifestyle and rent a vacation home for a long weekend on the East End.
What’s on your 2015 Summer Bucket List, Long Island?