Uniondale, NY - July 6, 2016 - As temperatures and humidity on Long Island and the Rockaways increase, PSEG Long Island continues to monitor the weather forecast and has enough capacity available to meet the projected service-area peak demand for this week’s heat.
“PSEG Long Island has invested millions of dollars over the past few years to significantly upgrade and maintain best-in-class electric reliability,” said John O’Connell, vice president of Transmission and Distribution, PSEG Long Island. “These improvements prepare the system to meet high demand during extreme heat temperatures."
High temperatures and high electric demand can sometimes cause scattered heat-related outages. PSEG Long Island has additional personnel available and will address outages as quickly and safely as possible.
Customers who experience an outage should call 1-800-490-0075 to report downed wires/power outages or utilize MyAlerts, PSEG Long Island’s text message service. Once registered, report power outages by texting “OUT” to PSEGLI (773454), to register have your account number available and text REG to PSEGLI (773454). General outage activity throughout the service territory is also available online and on the mobile website at www.psegliny.com.
Hotter temperatures can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. PSEG Long Island encourages customers to minimize the impact of hot weather and better manage their usage with the following tips:
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows. Prevent air leaks around window air conditioners with foam insulation or weather-stripping.
- Close blinds and drapes on windows facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you’re away.
- Install a programmable thermostat and use fans to circulate cool air.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. They won’t heat the house.
- Set refrigerators and freezers to the most efficient temperatures.
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient ENERGY STAR® appliances.
PSEG Long Island energy efficiency programs provide residential and commercial customers with the tools needed to incorporate energy efficient practices and technologies to help lower energy usage. For information on PSEG Long Island energy saving programs and tips visit here.