Nassau County, NY - April 29, 2016 - In an effort to promote public safety, County Executive Mangano and Nassau County Police Department Acting Commissioner Thomas C. Krumpter have announced the following security measures for the 2016 Long Island Marathon:
- All vehicles at starting line and other staging areas must be credentialed and known in advance;
- Large contingent of uniformed police officers assigned to detail;
- Officers assigned from NCPD Homeland Security with portable radiation detectors;
- All bags and back packs will be subject to K-9 explosive detection prior to going on the UPS trucks to the finish line. K-9’s will be patrolling the general area.
- Participants should arrive early due to modified road closures around the start and finish line areas and should plan to leave enough time for parking and travel to starting line;
- Only registered participants will be permitted into the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K starting line area on Charles Lindbergh Blvd on Sunday May 3rd.
- Participants may only use clear bags at the baggage check. Clear bags will be provided by race officials at participant check-in;
- Spectators may not bring bags into the finish line area in Eisenhower Park;
- Any bags or packages found on the ground will be discarded or destroyed. Participants should not stash personal items along the race route.
- Eisenhower Park finish line security at the spectator seating area includes: Modified Fencing around seating Entrance/Exit gateways and bags/backpacks are prohibited and/or will be searched.
- Finish line festival area will include fencing to limit gateways for ingress and egress.
- The staff and volunteer-only areas require vehicle credentials as well as individual credentials. Only previously credentialed individuals will be permitted in these areas.
Some improvements that participants will see this year include new “start-line parking areas” at the Nassau Community College, which will ease morning congestion getting into Eisenhower Park; participants will have a relatively short walk to the startling lines of the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K Race; there will be new shuttle buses during race weekend; return shuttles from Eisenhower park back to NCC parking after the Sunday races; and shuttle buses from the Westbury LIRR station to Mitchel Field for the Sports & Fitness Expo and to and from Start and Finish Areas on Sunday, May 1st.