Nassau DA Singas: Two Men Indicted in Connection to Hempstead Murder

James Wilson of Brooklyn, 35, and Raphael Carter of Hempstead, 31, are charged in connection with the shooting death of Matthew Gilreath, DA Singas says.

Print Email

Raphael Carter of Hempstead, 31. Not pictured is James Wilson, 35.

Photo by: Nassau County Police Department

Mineola, NY - Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas announced that two men were arraigned on grand jury indictment charges related to a fatal shooting in Hempstead in February.
James Wilson, 35, of Brooklyn, was arraigned yesterday before Judge Howard Sturim and charged with Murder in the Second Degree (an A-I felony) and two counts of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree (a C violent felony).
The defendant was remanded and is due back in court on April 29. If convicted of the top count he faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
Wilson’s co-defendant, Raphael Carter, 31, of Hempstead, was arraigned on March 26 before Judge Sturim on charges of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third Degree (a D violent felony), Hindering Prosecution in the First Degree (a D felony) and Tampering Physical Evidence (an E felony). Bail was continued at $150,000 bond or $175,000 cash. The defendant is due back in court on April 29. If convicted of the top count he faces 2-1/3 years to seven years in prison.
“James Wilson was allegedly armed with a handgun and brutally shot Matthew Gilreath several times, killing him,” DA Singas said. “This case is yet another example of the brutality of gun violence that is far too common in our country.”
DA Singas said on February 18, at approximately 3:00 am, the victim, 28-year-old Matthew Gilreath, was standing in the doorway of 100 Terrace Avenue in Hempstead when the defendant approached him and started a conversation. Within approximately one minute, the defendant allegedly fired his gun at least six times, striking the victim multiple times in the head, face and chest.  At some point during the shooting, the victim shot back at the defendant striking him at least one time in the abdomen.
Following the shooting, Carter is accused of taking the gun from Wilson and bringing it to his apartment. The weapon was never recovered. Gilreath was taken to Nassau University Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead. The defendant was treated for his gunshot wound at NYU Winthrop Hospital.
Following an investigation, Wilson and Carter were arrested on February 19 by members of the Nassau County Police Department.
Senior Assistant District Attorney Ania Pulaski of DA Singas’ Major Offense Bureau is prosecuting this case. Chris Cassar, Esq. represents Wilson and Jeffrey Groder, Esq. represents Carter.
A criminal charge is an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.