Good places for Mexican/South American food?

Cormorant

Good places for Mexican/South American food?

27 Mar, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I saw today's top ten list and it got me thinking about food from South of the Border. Baja Grill's been getting a lot of my business lately (gotta love $2 tacos on Tuesdays and $3 margaritas on Thursdays), but I'm always open to try out a new place. Anyone got a local favorite I should be on the lookout for?

Cruzer

Re:Good places for Mexican/South American food?

27 Mar, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Baja Grill is pretty awesome. If you're in that neck of the woods Three Amigos down Larkfield Road makes some quality dishes at a pretty low price. There's also another nice little place near The Lark pub, but I can't remember the name of it.

gfrost

27 Mar, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Gotta love Baja Grill. El Ranchito is East Northport is a personal favorite. A co-worker suggested Del Fuego in St. James.

amyg

30 Mar, 2012 2:19 p.m.

Casa Vieja in Brentwood is really great. I live around the corner from this restaurant, and it's been around forever. I believe the management is Colombian, and most of their food is prepared to reflect that particular culture, but they also serve dishes from other regions of South America. The food is priced moderately, probably a little higher than Baja Grill, but far more authentic and unique.

CaitR

30 Mar, 2012 2:32 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Meson Ole in Commack, great service, atmosphere, over-the-top dishes and fabulous margaritas. All over great Mexican place if you're looking to sit-down.

amyg

09 Apr, 2012 12:12 p.m.

A friend of mine offered a recommendation this weekend to check out España in Smithtown. I haven't eaten there myself, but I am a huge fan of tapas. If you have never been or have never tried these traditional Spanish finger foods, I would say begin with something basic, like Patatas Bravas (crispy fried potato wedges served with a spicy sauce) and spanish tortilla/omelette. Based on the menu, I'd say its reasonably priced and according to my friend, the portions are huge.

cjbrandstrom

05 Aug, 2012 10:27 a.m.

I recently made a stop at Bubba's Burrito Bar on Main Street in Islip... they have some great fresh (made daily, fresh to order) Mexican... (take out or eat in). I happened to stop there on a Friday and it was Fish Taco Fridays.. $2 each. Those are seriously the best fish tacos I've ever had.

There was a salad bowl called "The Bub" that I'm looking forward to trying next time...
They are open till 9pm and do serve margaritas, sangria and beer as well...but it's not a fancy sit-down type place.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog