Weather Alert!
"FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT FRIDAY" * WHAT...Temperatures as low as lower to middle 30s will result in frost formation. * WHERE...In Connecticut, Southern Fairfield, Southern Middlesex, and Southern New Haven Counties. In New Jersey, Eastern Passaic, Western Bergen, Western Essex, and Western Union Counties. In New York, Northwest Suffolk and Southwest Suffolk Counties. * WHEN...From 2 AM to 8 AM EDT Friday. * IMPACTS...Frost could harm sensitive outdoor vegetation. Sensitive outdoor plants may be killed if left uncovered. Weather  |  LIRR  |  Traffic  |  Traffic Cams |  Weather News  |  School Closings

Long Island's Favorite Summer Reads - Discussion Group

nkohn

Long Island's Favorite Summer Reads - Discussion Group

25 Jun, 2013 2:26 p.m.

With summer here, that gives us a little more time to read those books we have been wanting to read all year. After reading them, why not discuss them with other book lovers like yourself. What are the top books on your reading list this summer? Were they hot or were they not? You tell us.

CaitR

Re:Long Island's Favorite Summer Reads - Discussion Group

26 Jun, 2013 12:42 p.m.

One of my favorite reads is One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's a great read - very engrossing, and was originally written in Spanish. If you're bilingual, it's very interesting to read it in both English and Spanish, and see how some of the descriptive text translated over.

sstelmach

26 Jun, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion by Michael Phillip Case is the book to sink your feet into while at the beach or lounging in your backyard. If you are looking to pass some time and get away from true reality and find yourself in a different reality, this is the novel to read. Of course, it all also depends how far your imagination can go. With an imagination, you can really get lost inside the pages.

This horror fiction novel embraces a non-fiction aura that immediately grasps you right into the story and the life of a newlywed couple living in the town of Oyster Bay on Long Island who find themselves in the mix of both a happy and a frightening situation.

The cicadas are a common phenomenon on Long Island and come around every year but this year, there are supposed to more of them in number. This novel takes it to the next level. To find out what the next level is, read this book.

Christian

27 Jun, 2013 12:02 p.m.

I feel like I never have enough time to sit down with a good book anymore, but I think I'll try to pick up The Ocean at the End of the Lane soon. I loved American Gods when I read it a few years ago... come to think of it I don't believe I've been disappointed by any of Neil Gaiman's work.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog