Wildfire in Manorville and Riverhead

amyg

Wildfire in Manorville and Riverhead

10 Apr, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Hi Everyone,
I am collecting eyewitness accounts of the wildfire currently blazing near Riverhead and Manorville. Please share what you have seen so far, what you think of the firefighters, if you know any of the firefighters currently at the site or who have participated in the battle against the flames. We'd love to see your pictures as well.
Is this fire bringing up old memories of past wildfires on Long Island? Share those with us too!
Thanks!

amyg

Re:Wildfire in Manorville and Riverhead

10 Apr, 2012 8:19 a.m.

Just to get the ball rolling...I recently stumbled across an old album in my grandmother's Brentwood home and discovered newspaper clippings which showed a HUGE fire blazing just down the street. Of course, at the time her house was the only one on the block, but I'd say this blaze came within 400 feet of the western perimeter of their house. My great-grandfather was the first fire warden in Brentwood - he had a fire tower built on the roof of his house! - and wildfires were definitely something my grandparents feared living in what was once a huge swatch of pine barrens in central Long Island.

Two weeks ago driving south on the Sagatikos parkway just past the overpass for Jericho Turnpike, I passed a small blaze in the woods on the west side of the road. It actually looked really cool, the flames were very low, but cast a bright orange orb through the forest.

EPemily

Re:Wildfire in Manorville and Riverhead

11 Apr, 2012 11:48 a.m.

I've never seen a forest fire in action or even the aftermath. If my car were is better condition I'd probably drive out there to at least witness the glow of the flames. I'm terribly fascinated by it all.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog