Summer camp is like a rite of passage for kids. Most of us remember going to summer camp as kids. Running around, having a blast and staying active. Learning new skill sets, and making tons of new friends we’d never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. Summer camp is a great way to keep the kids active, and tear them away them from the television set, or computer screen, for part of the day while school is out of session.
Long Island has a plethora of summer camps on both the eastern and western ends. Many of the summer camps on Long Island are also themed. So if your child has any special, particular interests, in fields and topics ranging from Science to Football to Theatre, and much more, they can explore those interests further at specialized camps. There’s even Space Camp for all the future astronauts out there!
- IncrediFlix: If your child is a movie lover or future filmmaker in the making, this is the camp for them. IncrediFlix camps teach kids the moviemaking process from start to finish. IncrediFlix offers camps in both Nassau and Suffolk County.
- Destination Science: Destination Science Camps exist all over with multiple locations on Long Island in both Nassau and Suffolk County. Concentrating in Science, the camps offer programs in robotics, astronaut training, animal life, and digital music systems. The camps provide a wonderfully fun, and educational, experience.
- Future Stars Camps – Old Westbury, NY: Future Stars Camp has over 20 camp programs for kids to participate in. They have sports and academic camps along with camps for learning circus arts and horseback riding. The camps offer programs for those entering Pre-K all the way through 12th grade.
- Catalina Beach Club – Atlantic Beach, NY: Camp Catalina is a 7 week program running Monday-Friday for ages 3-7. They offer swimming instruction, arts & crafts, sports, and more. The counselor to child ration is 1:3 so your child will receive all of the attention they require!
- Kids of Summer – Uniondale, NY: NY: Kids of Summer offers both baseball and softball summer camps. Campers are grouped by ability first and then by age so they can gain more experience and improve on their current skill level. The camp even has appearances by world renowned baseball and softball professionals.
- Usdan Center for the Creative & Performing Arts – Wheatley Heights, NY: Usdan Center offers day camps running from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Usdan is a great place for aspiring performers and artists with programs in theater, music, art, dance, and writing. Courses are 4 or 7 weeks long and children are sorted by skill level and interest.
- Thomas School Day Camp – Melville, NY: Thomas School Day Camp provides their campers with the full summer camp experience along with a full horse riding program. Summer hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Kids will partake in swimming, sports and art activities, and a riding program all while having fun, making friends, and learning respect and compassion for horses.
- Camp Jacobson – Old Westbury, NY: Camp Jacobson has programs in drama, dance, gymnastics, and music. They have professional couches that can teach every sport imaginable. They also have zip lines and rock walls!
- L.I. Voyagers Day Camp – West Babylon, NY: This co-ed camp, for children entering Kindergarten to teens 14 years old, allows kids to have fun and experience a variety of Long Island attractions. From museums, to amusement parks, zoos, to sporting events, your kids are sure to have a blast. Campers must provide their own lunch daily within a mini cooler or lunch box only, no brown bags.
- Friends Academy – Locust Valley, NY: Friends offers sports camps and general camps over the summer on their 65 acre campus. Some of the programs are purely academic and others are travel programs where your child can have some fun away from home. Ages range from about 2-15 years old.
- Rolling River Day Camp – East Rockaway, NY: Rolling River has been around on Long Island since 1992 and incorporates activities with both the children and their families. Programs go by age group and include activities like aquatics, ceramics, hockey, woodworking, martial arts, and more. All of their food options are nut-free and kosher meals are available upon request.
- Bach to Rock – Port Washington, NY: Bach to Rock offers a variety of musical camps. They have a glee club inspired camp, a rock band camp that will have the kids playing full songs in no time, a DJing camp, and more. The majority of the camps are for kids 7+ years of age.
- YMCA of Long Island – Huntington, NY: All full-service YMCA of Long Island branches offer summer day camps for preschoolers to teens. The general camp programs have fun activities like swimming lessons, science activities, waterslide play, and fitness activities. Specialty programs include sailing, performing arts, kayaking, and sports camps.
- Long Island Academy of Fine Art – Glen Cove, NY: Ages 8-13 and teens can get in touch with, and further explore their creative side at Long Island Academy of Fine Art. Programs include sculpting, painting, and drawing. They also offer insight on portfolio development, an important step for future artists.
- Knox Summer Adventures – Saint James, NY: Knox has programs for kids going into Pre-K through those entering 10th grade. Camp groups are put together by age and participate in activities like LEGO robotics, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding and more. Hot and cold lunches are provided daily.
- Summer at the Waldorf School of Garden City – Garden City, NY: Waldorf offers full day camp programs for ages 4-13 and half day camp programs for ages 3-5. Activities for the kids include yoga, arts & crafts, swimming, tennis, and more. They also have flexible scheduling offered on a pro-rated basis as to not interfere with your other summer plans, vacations, etc.
- Madison Theatre Day Camp – Rockville Centre, NY: Madison Theatre camps are 4 weeks long in length and concentrate on the dramatic arts and music, both vocal and instrumental. They offer full and half day options and even have workshops with Broadway professionals. Auditions are required for certain programs.
- Mad Science of Long Island: You will have no trouble finding one of these camps, Mad Science camps are spread out all over Long Island. Their programs involve a wide range of Science fields, chemistry, forensics, engineering, robotics, and space exploration. Mad Science camps are a fun and educational way for kids to spend the summer.
- Kenwal Day Camp – Melville, NY: There is something for everyone at Kenwal Day Camp. Kenwal incorporates archery, zip lining, mountain biking, and much more on their 20 acre allotment. They also have fun themed, special event days like Hawaiian Day and Inside Out Day.
- Ivy League Day Camp – Smithtown, NY: This camp offers many programs, all catered to your child's age group. Sports programs, aquatics programs and performing arts programs are available. Ivy League also has various day options for kids, like mini-days, half-days, and full-day camps.
- New York Giants Youth Football Camps: New York Giants Youth Football camps provide non-contact football instruction and play for kids ages 6-14. Camp is 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday. These camps feature agility and defensive training, team contests, awards and prizes, and professional couches and NY Giants heroes.
- Safari Adventure Camp – Riverhead, NY: Safari Adventure Camps are run through two programs, a 6 hour and a 3 hour camp program. Kids get the opportunity to jump around, climb, and play in the gymnastics areas. Instruction is offered on both men’s and women’s Olympic apparatuses.
- Center for Science Teaching & Learning – Rockville Centre, NY: This camp offers multiple camps for kids and teens. The camp explores Long Island through technology, marine life, engineering, and transportation. They even have awesome animal exploration activities within their live animal exhibit!
- LIU Post Youth Camps – Brookville, NY: LIU Post Youth Camps provides air-conditioned classrooms, nature trails, an indoor swimming pool, and computer labs for its campers. Campers can do sports, cooking, nature, computer, drama, and swimming activities. They also offer specialty programs.
- Performing Arts Academy at LIU Tilles Center – Greenvale, NY: Located on the LIU campus, this camp offers summer programs strictly in the arts. Programs are involved with music, drama, and fine arts. The Performing Arts Academy at LIU Tilles Center will aid your child in reaching the next level of their artistic abilities and gain worthwhile experience with top educators.
- Space Camp at the Cradle of Aviation – Garden City, NY: Summer camp programs are run through 5 day mini-camps. Space and STEM camps are held at the Cradle of Aviation by leading museum educators fostering a love of science and exploration, and passing that on to their campers. Campers must bring their own bag lunch.
Has your child attended any of these camps? What was their experience like? Do they attend a camp we haven't mentioned? Let us know in the comments!