Long Island is the best place and destination for anyone looking to go to the beach this summer. We live on an island that is surrounded by water. If you do North or South on any parkway, you will be lead to a beach.
There are various beaches throughout the island, some are state parks while some are run by the county. Most of the beaches are open to the public, but be careful. Some of the beaches are for residence only. So, be sure to inquire before planning your day trip. Also, do not forget the sunscreen!
Additionally, many beaches offer different amenities for their visitors. If you are looking for something specific, like a playground or a place to launch your boat, you need to make sure that that beach has those amenities. So check out the beaches this summer and be sure to check out ones you may have never been to! Here are a few of the major beaches on Long Island, but there are many more for you to check out!
- Jones Beach State Park: This bay beach offers not only swimming in the Great South Bay, but also two large swimming pools. Check out their performing arts theater through out the summer for free shows.
- Tobay Beach: Located close to Jones Beach, this beach offers dining and a spray park for kids.
- Centre Island Beach: A unique beach experience can be had here. Have you ever swim in a ocean for a few minutes and then a bay? Well, at this beach you will enjoy both the Long Island Sound and Oyster Bay Harbor.
- Sunken Meadow State Park: Walk the boardwalk or swim in the Sound, Sunken Meadow State Park offers its visitors casual dining, large picnic area, and pavilions.
- Heckscher State Park: Along the Great South Bay, this beach offers not only swimming, but biking and hiking. Be sure to check out the windsurfers during your visit.
- Hither Hills State Park: Like the beach? Like camping? Well, if you are a fan of both this will be a beach you surely want to check out this summer.
What is your favorite Long Island Beach? Tell us in the comments below!