favorite bars

blackhawk6164

favorite bars

21 Mar, 2012 12:26 p.m.

What are some of your favorite bars on Long Island? Being from the Islip area I love Maxwell's its part of a chain there's also View, Post office cafe, library cafe and others. what i like about Maxwell's is it is half restaurant half bar so when I'm drinking there i can still get good food. During the week it usually has a few groups of people in there but never crowded, on the weekends though they really draw a crowd so its a great place to go and socialize.
Another favorite of mine is Port Royal a small local pirate themed bar, also in Islip. This bar is much smaller and usually quieter, if that is what you're looking for. also has great food (seems to be a pattern here) and is a great place if you want to go out drinking for a night with some snacks, or a great place for lunch/dinner.

So where do you guys like to go?

hal9000

Re:favorite bars

23 Mar, 2012 10:36 a.m.

The best GUINNESS pour...Molly MacNamara in Lynbrook. hands down the best
clean clean clean glass, fat head(NO artwork thank god), full beer, no cheapo small novelty glasses. Best of all there was never a drought at the bar, the bar tenders were very attentive, I never had to ask for 'another' I rather had to let them know when I want to stop.
Near the Walking distance to the LIRR which gives the option to Train it home and a real city feel so you dont need to worry about going to the pokey.
I dare someone to tell me any flaws in their Pour in this spot.

EPemily

23 Mar, 2012 10:41 a.m.

South Beach Saloon in Smithtown. It's a total dive but I love it none the less. The bartenders are hysterical and friendly. Love it there.

CaitR

23 Mar, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Shanahan's in Kings Park is pretty good - especially in the summer, when they have the fire pit going out back. Wednesday is Wing Night, but they also have standard bar fare pub grub all the time.

Cormorant

27 Mar, 2012 11:44 a.m.

I've been a big fan of places that have some good food to go with the beer lately- Miller's Ale House in Deer Park and John Harvard's in Lake Grove come to mind. A good dive is always welcome, though.

Brixton

25 Apr, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Arizona Bar in Commack. I've only been there a handful of times and I had actually heard terrible things about it but I really like the decor inside. It's a very big place and there usually isn't too many people there. My friends and I usually play a round of pool and thank god for Blue Moon on tap!

cjbrandstrom

30 Apr, 2012 11:44 a.m.

My old school haunt when I lived in Port Jefferson was Billies on main street... classic old style pub, college crowd, decent jukebox and great beer battered onion rings! :) Yum!

I love live music venues/pub/grub places... and now it's not as common as it used to be, but I've recently seen some great live shows at Katies in Smithtown and Shanahan's in Kings Park (Love the fire pit in the summer...good call caitr!) but the most fun is the haunted stories about those places.
Spooky fun! :)

Cruzer

01 May, 2012 10:08 a.m.

I love Sapsuckers over in Huntington village. They've got a dozen or so craft beers on tap at any given time and they're owned by the same people as Red and Cafe Red, so the kitchen puts out some tasty dishes too.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog