Getting a Well-rounded Education on Long Island

AmeliaMimsy

Getting a Well-rounded Education on Long Island

10 Mar, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Not quite yet at the parenting-age, but I am still considering ways to make sure that my future children get the most out of what Long Island has to offer. Having graduated from a Long Island school district, I am familiar with the typical field trips sites, and the general curriculum of New York State public schools. But...I think Long Island has way more to offer in terms of historical and science/nature/environmental sites and attractions that are generally underutilized or recognizes by Long Island schools. I'm just wondering if and how Long Island parents are using these sites to give their kids a more well-rounded home grown education.

cjbrandstrom

Re:Getting a Well-rounded Education on Long Island

09 May, 2012 4:42 p.m.

There are some great museums like this one and this one that are kid friendly and offer interactive displays that educate kids about Long Island's history, local agricultural, fishing and farming harvest, heritage and economy.
We have a wealth of history and environmental sites all over Long Island.

I was also in a local Long Island school district and agree that they didn't take full advantage of these. I remember going on field trips to the Vanderbilt Planetarium, Sunken Meadow Park, Smiths Point, and Mount Sinai's Cedar Beach nature walks.

I am very glad my parents and grandparents exposed me to numerous parks, beaches and nature trails when I was young! I remember walking around parks with them all the time, but rarely doing this with the school.

axillamagilla

Re:Getting a Well-rounded Education on Long Island

02 Aug, 2013 12:54 p.m.

When you get to the parenting age and are ready to look into preschools, definitely give Ivy League School in Smithtown a look. My son is about to enter PreK there after a year in their pre-school 3's program. We LOVE it there. Well educated teachers, fabulous hands-on approach to teaching, and beautiful grounds. He has had such a positive and nurturing learning experience. Plus they have a fabulous day camp. Both my kids attend the camp and are having the greatest summer (on top of the greatest summer they had last year!).
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog