Weather Alert!
"FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT FRIDAY" * WHAT...Temperatures as low as lower to middle 30s will result in frost formation. * WHERE...In Connecticut, Southern Fairfield, Southern Middlesex, and Southern New Haven Counties. In New Jersey, Eastern Passaic, Western Bergen, Western Essex, and Western Union Counties. In New York, Northwest Suffolk and Southwest Suffolk Counties. * WHEN...From 2 AM to 8 AM EDT Friday. * IMPACTS...Frost could harm sensitive outdoor vegetation. Sensitive outdoor plants may be killed if left uncovered. Weather  |  LIRR  |  Traffic  |  Traffic Cams |  Weather News  |  School Closings

Foreclosures on Long Island

cjbrandstrom

Foreclosures on Long Island

27 Jul, 2012 11 a.m.

Watching the news last night I saw a piece on the staggering amount of foreclosures on Long Island. It must be absolutely devastating to these families. With unemployment the way it is it comes as no surprise that this recession has hit Long Island in a big way.

It's kind of strange in that you don't really overtly see this happening, or I should say, you don't know who you pass during the day that is going through this. But you see evidence of it everywhere. On any given day, on any random block you can see multiple homes for sale and some that are bank owned (already foreclosed on). In talking to your neighbors, you find many are going through similar hard times, are on the brink of losing their homes and can't find work.

I watched a documentary on HBO the other day called "Hard Times on Long Island" or something.... It was about how many unemployed folks are really out there and what it is like to live here in this situation. There were doctors, lawyers, teachers, former vice presidents of wall street firms, etc...these were well educated, hard working people who simply could not find work after hunting for it, daily, often for two years straight or more. Some of them were facing foreclosure. Most were relying on some kind of assistance just to feed their family. The ratio noted in the film was there are 4 people for any one job.

Have you heard of any banks who are working with homeowners to modify their loans?
Are there any government programs that you know of that are offering homeowners assistance with loan modifications?

This type of situation really takes a mental and emotional toll, and can wreak havoc on even the strongest individual or family. Are there any groups of local folks that meet up to offer support and encouragement to others in the same situation? networking groups?

Please let me know...I would love to hear from you Long Island.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog