Uniondale, NY - October 10, 2016 - In recognition of National Fire Prevention Week, October 9-15, PSEG Long Island is reminding customers the importance of electrical safety in homes and businesses. Electrical failures or malfunctions can cause fires in wiring, cords, lighting and any other type of equipment that uses electricity.
Customers need to think safety first when doing construction, upgrading or repairing the electrical wiring in homes and businesses. It is prudent to contact a qualified electrician to install and inspect electrical work for up-to-date specifications and codes.
“The safety of our customers and employees is always a top priority for PSEG Long Island,” said John O’Connell, Vice President of Transmission and Distribution. “At every level, PSEG Long Island employees demonstrate a commitment to safety and, as our customers enjoy all the comforts and convenience that electricity provides daily, we want our customers to make the same commitment, to know how to be safe and spot potential problems.”
The National Fire Prevention Association indicates U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 47,000 reported home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction in 2014. These fires resulted in 520 deaths, 1,250 injuries and $1.4 billion in direct property damage. Electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in one of every five (20 percent) of home fires.
Safety Tips for Homes and Businesses:
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper resistant outlets.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each outlet at a time.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
- All outlets and switches should have faceplates. Exposed wiring is a shock hazard.
- Use the correct wattage and proper kind of light bulb in an overhead or ceiling fixture. The wrong type of bulb can lead to overheating and fire.
PSEG Long Island offers a variety of outreach programs that educate our children about safety and emergency preparedness. If interested in a presentation to your organization or school, visit here.
For more information on electrical safety, please go here.