Long Island, NY - June 3, 2015 - MTA Long Island Rail Road President Patrick A. Nowakowski will officially open the Railroad's newly refurbished Belmont Park Station at a press conference tomorrow, Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 11 a.m. The $5 million upgrade of the station includes new platforms, stairways, lighting, signage, public address system and handicapped-accessible ramp.
Nowakowski will explain how the renovations and new strategy for moving trains will mean less waiting time for thousands of customers departing Saturday's 147th Belmont Stakes. He will also conduct a tour of the station following the press conference. Nowakowski will joined at the grand opening event by top officials of the New York Racing Association (NYRA), which partnered with the LIRR on the station revitalization project, contributing $1 million toward the cost of the renovations.
- WHEN: Tomorrow, Thursday, June 4, 2014 at 11 a.m.
- WHERE: South end of LIRR's Belmont Station, Queens, N.Y.
- WHO: LIRR President Patrick A. Nowakowski and top NYRA officials
- WHAT: Press Conference Marking the Opening of LIRR's new Belmont Station
- Members of the media are asked to call the MTA Press Office at 212-878-7440 to confirm attendance. The LIRR's Belmont Park Station is accessible via the Gate 5 entrance to Belmont Park on Hempstead Turnpike. Turn left into the parking lot. The station is located on the west end of the racetrack near the top of the stretch. Media parking is outside the fence leading to the train station. The press conference will be held at the top of the handicapped accessible ramp on the new platform.