Long Island, NY - April 21, 2016 - Train schedules on the Babylon, Far Rockaway, Montauk, Port Jefferson, Far Rockaway, West Hempstead, Long Beach and Oyster Bay branches for the weekends of April 23-24 and April 30-May 1 are being adjusted to allow the Long Island Rail Road to complete the installation of new concrete railroad ties and running rail between Rockville Centre and Valley Stream.
Special timetables covering the affected branches will be available at train terminals and local stations and as well as on the LIRR website. Here are some of the more significant schedule revisions:
- Babylon Branch service will be reduced from half-hourly to hourly beginning Friday night at 10 p.m. through early Monday morning.
- Some Montauk trains will run on adjusted schedules and departure times for some connecting trains will change
West Hempstead Branch
- Buses will replace weekend trains in both directions between West Hempstead and Valley Stream beginning late Friday night and continuing through the weekend.
Port Jefferson Branch
- Some eastbound trains will have added stops at Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Some westbound trains will be held at Jamaica for 5 minutes.
Far Rockaway Branch
- There are changes to departure times and stopping patterns for some overnight trains.
Long Beach Branch
- Westbound trains will be running on adjusted schedules in some cases departing Long Beach up to 40 minutes later than usual.
- The 4:54 a.m. from Penn Station due at Hempstead at 5:48 a.m. will operate on an adjusted schedule.
Oyster Bay Branch
- Departure times for some trains will change along with connecting trains at Jamaica and arrival times at Penn Station.
For More Information
LIRR advises customers on affected branches to pick up a copy of the special weekend timetables dated April 23-24 and April 30-May 1. The Special Timetables are also posted online at www.mta.info/lirr. At mymtaalerts.com, customers can sign up for real time LIRR Service Alerts via text message or email. LIRR travel information is also available.