Glen Cove, NY - March 31, 2014 - The Amended Record of Decision (AROD) for the Powers Chemco Site (NYSDEC Site #: 130028) (Glen Cove, Nassau County) has been issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). The AROD describes the remedy selected to address contamination associated with the site.
Major elements of the selected remedy include:
1. Excavation and off-site disposal of about 10,000 cubic yards of soil contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are a large group of carbon-based chemicals that easily evaporate at room temperature. The primary VOCs of concern are toluene, xylene, ethylbenzene, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) and benzene.
2. Extract and treat contaminated groundwater, and treat the remaining groundwater in place.
3. Treat contaminated off-site soil in place.
4. Maintenance and, as appropriate, application of a site cover.
5. A Site Management Plan to monitor groundwater and evaluate the potential for soil vapor intrusion for any buildings developed on the site.
The AROD provides additional details about the selected remedy. An electronic copy of the AROD is on NYSDEC's Region 1 website (scroll down under Nassau County, and look for the AROD for the site).
Copies of the AROD also are available for review at the following location:
Glen Cove Public Library
4 Glen Cove Avenue
Glen Cove, NY 11542-2885