When we think about November, we automatically think of Thanksgiving. There are many great activities happening on Long Island this month, but with preparing for the Thanksgiving meal, we might forget that you need to try to stay in shape this holiday season.
Turkey trots are an annual tradition that not many people know about. Generally for charity, turkey trots are long distance fun runs.
Many turkey trots take place on Long Island, so if you are an avid runner or just want to try something new, try a Turkey Trot this month. Be sure to register be going out for you run!
- Matthew's Turkey Trot & Chicken Run: This run will take place at the West Harbor Memorial Park and will benefit the Matthew Fetzer Foundation for children battling cancer.
- Thanksgiving Weekend at Montauk: Starting with a Turkey Trot, Montauk is offering a weekend of fun in addition to a fun run race.
- The Oyster Bay Turkey Trot: Held at Oyster Bay High School, this rn is a USATF 5K course and has chip timing.
- 2013 Smile Turkey Trot: Benefiting "Smiles Change Lives," this casual fun run is made for the whole family.
- Port Washington Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot: Build up an appetite Thanksgiving Day with this run fun and register before their hit their 3000 entry cap.
- 36th Annual Garden City Turkey Trot: With their challenger division, fun run, and short turkey trot, every runner will have a place at this race.
- 6th Annual NRSP 1K Turkey Trot for Kids & 5K Run/Walk for the Park: Anyone can run this race and the adults can win a cash prize.
- North Shore Boys & Girls Club Turkey Trot: Run with a great organization that supports local children.
- Massapequa Park 5k Turkey Trot with both a youth run and a 5k run/walk. Awards ceremony and raffle will follow after walk/run.
Be sure to register for all the Turkey Trots you plan to run this November!
Have you ever taken part in a Turkey Trot? Which one will you try this year? Tell us in the comments below.