While kids long for those lazy days of summer, many adults look at them as an opportunity to be more active and eat healthy. Whether it’s to look good before going on a beach vacation, or you simply want to feel more energy and confident about yourself, setting health and exercise goals is a great way to spend your carefree days of summer.
Eating right and exercising on a daily basis can be a challenge if it is not already a part of your regular routine, but you can make this challenge easier by learning how to stay healthy right at home. Why not try working out at home it can be much less hassle than a trip to the gym. When it comes to food, what better way to learn how to eat healthier than cultivating your cooking skills this not only gives you more control over what you eat, but can be quite cost-effective as well.
To keep your weight in check it’s known that you need to eat healthy and exercise. The thing is, research suggests that when people devote time to one healthy habit, like exercising, eating healthy gets left unnoticed.
Food diaries or food counters are a great way to keep track of what you're eating daily. Breaking down the amount of carbs, fats/ etc you put into your body as well as exercises for the day and how many calories you burned can help you stay on track. My Fitness Pal is a great food counter and makes it very convenient just downloading their app onto your smartphone. So no matter if you at home or on the go there is no excuse not to keep track of your daily progress.
So here are some tips just for you to make those hard days of losing weight and eating healthy a thing of the past.
Top 10 At-Home Exercises
1. Supermans - This beginner stretch is great for working out your back, butt/hips and shoulders. It’s kind of hard to pretend you have super powers when doing this stretch.
2. Push-up - You were probably first introduced to this old school exercise in high school gym class, but now it’s time to bring it back. Make it more challenging by switching up your hand placement.
3. Wall Push-up - Take this oldie exercise and switch it around a little bit, moving from the floor to a nearby wall.
4. Pretzel Hip Lifts - Looking for a workout to get stronger legs? Then this easy move is the exercise for you.
5. Basic Stair Walk - Stairs are a great way to get your legs moving. Walk up and down your staircase at a moderate pace and you’ll feel it in your legs after a few trips up and down.
6. Bent-Knee Sit up / Crunches - This well known crunch is great for working on your abs. Be sure to breathe when doing this exercise.
7. Squat Jumps - This total body workout is great to get your heart racing. And you may catch yourself singing “ I Believe I Can Fly.”
8. Side Lunge - This exercise is great if you have kids at home. Get them involved and have them throw a ball at the direction you lunge. Making into a fun way to exercise and spend time with your kids.
9. Go for a Walk - If you can’t get to a gym because you have little ones at home, go for a walk around your neighborhood if the weather is nice.
10. Downward-facing Dog - This pose is a great way to end your workout, giving you a perfect full body stretch.
A smart way to start your day is by eating a healthy breakfast. Remember that old saying “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?” It’s true - eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism in the morning. Some people skip breakfast in order to prevent weight gain, but according to WebMD, skipping a meal can make it harder to maintain a healthy weight.
So if your breakfast is boring, has too many empty calories or worse - it’s nonexistent, then you could use these morning meal ideas to start your morning off right.
Know matter your age, waffles for breakfast never gets old. This somewhat sweet breakfast treat goes great with sliced bananas or blueberries on top.
Eggs are the go-to classic breakfast food. You can scramble them, hard boil them and everything in between. So be bold and make an omelet and some fresh summer vegetables of your liking. It’s a great way to get your vegetable serving for the day.
Homemade granola is a great nutritious breakfast for when you are on the go. But if you are not in a rush, it taste great if you add some milk or stir into a cup of yogurt.
Oatmeal is no stranger when it comes to breakfast. Sprinkle some cinnamon or add blueberries or strawberries on top to add a little sweetness.
This one is for the chocolate lovers who wish they can eat chocolate no matter what time of the day. Well now you can with this easy to please french toast breakfast.
Juicy melon is always a great way to start your day, but adding yogurt into the mix makes it a whole lot better. Get creative and top off this cool breakfast creation with fresh fruit or granola.
These are just some of the many simple ways you can work out and eat right to get into the shape you have always wanted without even leaving your home. By keeping physically active and eating right, you will be on your way to a happy and healthier life. And remember, even making the smallest change can make a big difference over time. So don’t rush the step by step approach, because that is what makes the transition go smoothly.
Do you have a weight loss tip or a story that you want to share? Be sure to leave a comment after reading the article so other viewers can read about your experiences!