If you are looking for something different to do with your kids during your staycation over the February break, bring them into the city for a day of culture and fun! New York City can be very family-friendly if you know where to look, such as the museums that offer free admission for young ones, like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is free for kids under age 12, and has more than just standard art - there are statues, tombs, and much much more to wow your little ones! The LIRR makes this even easier by offering a family fare, which means that up to four children ages 5-11 can ride off-peak and PM peak eastbound rush hour trains for the low fare of $1 each as long as they are accompanied by a fare-paying adult. Children under 5 ride free, so what more of a reason could you need to get the kids out of the house for the day? Make some memories by visiting some of these hot spots this week:
Museums with Free Admission for Children: Going to the city can get expensive, so add a free museum to your itinerary. Though adults are expected to pay for their ticket, you will save on your little ones.
- Museum of Modern Art (under age 16)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (under age 12)
- Guggenheim Museum (under age 12)
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum (free Thursdays 3-5 p.m., every third Thursday 3-7 p.m.)
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan (free on the first Friday of every month from 5-8 p.m.)
Family-Friendly Broadway Shows: Take your kids to an early showing of a Broadway show that they can relate to. Warning: Your kids will likely be singing songs from the show for weeks to come!
- The Lion King
- Blue Man Group
Famous Kids' Stores: Be prepared to spend some money, because it is impossible to bring a child into one of these kid-centric stores and not have them begging to buy something.
- FAO Shwarz
- Dylan’s Candy Bar
- American Girl Place
- The Lego Store
- Toys “R” Us
Places to Eat: Fortunately as a parent, the city is known for very kid-friendly foods – pizza, bagels, and hot dogs. Though you could get a dirty water dog on one of many street corners, try stepping it up and going to these famous NYC eateries with your kids!
- Grimaldi’s: This famous Brooklyn pizzeria is right at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, and serves legendary brock-oven pizza. Be sure to get there early, as a line out the door forms quickly!
- Joe’s Pizza: Joe’s Pizza on Carmine Street serves up slices that embody everything New Yorkers brag about when they boast about their pizza.
- Nathan’s: Take your kids to Coney Island for a step back in time with a Nathan’s hot dog and fries.
- Shake Shack: Everything here will be right up your kid’s alley – from burgers to hot dogs to – of course – the shakes. Here is another spot that although there are many Shake Shacks throughout the city, you are guaranteed to be hit with an out-the-door line if you go right in the midst of lunchtime.