Children have been waiting for this break since the beginning of the school year (more anticipated is summer vacation). Children look at this time as free of waking up early, school, and homework. While some kids are going away from Long Island, many are staying here. Luckily, you do not have to go far for fun kid activities!
Here are some basic activities your kids can do this break:
- Get Their Homework Done First: Some teachers still assign homework or reading over the break. If they do it early enough, they only have time for more activities over the break and do not have the cram all their homework at the last minute.
- Cleaning Up and Getting a Fresh Start: Cleaning out a backpack or cleaning up their room will give your kids a fresh start before going back to school.
- Read for Enjoyment: Check out your public library and have your kids try finding a book they would enjoy reading. Librarians are very helpful and can help find books of interest.
- Volunteer: There are a lot of charities that need volunteers this holiday season. Have your child understand the holidays and give back to their community.
In addition to the above activities, there are many events taking place over the holiday break ranging in activity. So, check out one of the following events and many other events listed in our events calendar.
- GSSC's 10th Annual Holiday Light Show - Bayport
- Battlegrounds - Shirley
- Live Reindeer at Hicks Nurseries - Westbury
- Frosty the Snowman the Musical - Northport
- Holiday Break Public Paintball Sessions - West Babylon
- School's Out Holiday Camp - Rockville Centre
- Bethpage Federal Credit Union Global Explorer Family Backpacks - Hempstead
- Gingerbread Lane - Queens
- New Exhibit at LICM: Broken? Fix it! - Garden City
- Shrek the Musical - Oakdale
What will you and your kids do this holiday break? Any family traditions? Tell us in the comments below!