The weather outside is frightful and nothing beats the winter chill better than a hot bowl of soup. January is National Soup Month and there are ways Long Islanders enjoy their soups. It can come from an old family recipe or simply from a can. There are many ways to enjoy soup!
Another great aspect of soup is that you can take many of your leftovers and, with a small addition of ingredients, make soup out of them.
From the creamiest of chowders to traditional chicken noodle soup to Jewish matzo ball to Chinese wanton soup, there are hundreds of different soups that you can enjoy!
Check out one of the many locations on Long Island for delicious soups this month!
- Ben's Deli, in various locations, offers Matzo ball soup among other great soups like kreplach which has small dumplings with meat in broth.
- Waterzooi Belgium Bistro in Garden City has a great french onion soup and lobster bisque.
- Hale & Hearty in Carle Place is known for their variety of soups and their menu of soups changes everyday. So, go in and try a soup-salad or soup-sandwich combo.
- Soup's On located in Stony Brook offers a variety of homemade soups daily.
- NY Soup Exchange located in Garden City has over 100 soup varieties and offers 6 or 7 soups daily.
In addition to enjoying soups, be sure to give back to your local soup kitchen. Although it is not Thanksgiving or Christmas, they still need year round donations.
What is your favorite soup? Do you have a great recipe that you enjoy making? Tell us all about it in the comments below!