Montauk: A Visitor's Guide
Montauk was an area originally occupied by the Montauks - Native Americans of the Algonquian tribe. It is located on the most eastern part of the south fork of Long Island in the town of East Hampton. The natives then sold the land to English settlers from East Hampton where the English grazed cattle and began to build forming some of the current historic landmarks and buildings. Not only is Montauk filled with history, but also with many attractions and plenty of things to do.
Don’t have any plans for the summer? Montauk is the place to go if you are looking for a place to spend the day, have a weekend getaway, or even stay for the entire season. Residents, visitors and tourists crowd the town for some seasonal fun. With so many great local activities - including pristine parks, superb shopping, delicious dining, friendly fishing, and beautiful beaches - experiencing all Montauk has to offer is something that simply can’t be done in a day.
We’ve put together this great guide so that you can get the most out of your trip to Montauk, no matter what your passion is. Check out the resources below highlighting some of the things your day can be filled with!
Enjoy some outdoor fun and get close with nature in one of the several parks in Montauk which include five state parks.
- Hither Hills - 164 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - Hither Hills has walking dunes and offers the most fun in the sun from playgrounds to camping to food.
- Shadmoor - 900 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - Shadmoor is known for its open geography perfect for birdwatching and shoreline views while picnicking.
- Montauk Downs - 2000 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - Montauk Downs is just the spot for those who like to play tennis or golf with the 18-hole golf course.
- Camp Hero - 1898 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - Camp Hero consists of a National Historic Site with the former military base, a great 24 hour rich fishing location.
- Montauk Point - 2000 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - Montauk Point State Park meets the Block Island Sound allowing viewers to see the two tides converge or watch some seals sunbathing on the rocks.
Montauk has became a popular beach resort with over 5,000 acres of public beaches. Whether you like to sit and soak up some rays, swim in the sound, or take a walk along the shore, there is an open spot for you to experience the sound of waves washing up on the shore and the smell of the cool ocean breeze.
- Gin Beach - East Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Located on Long Island’s east end in Montauk, Gin Beach features a roped off area for swimming with watchful lifeguards. Visitors can watch as boats travel in and out of Montauk Harbor or take a walk on the jetty. Restrooms and outdoor showers are open to visitors.This beach is pet-friendly allowing off leash pets under voice control permitted 300 yards away from paved road.
- Kirk Beach - Route 27, Montauk, NY 11954 - This small beach is just 500 feet from the ocean on the eastern end of Long Island. A picnic area is available in the park across from the beach.
- Ditch Plains Beach - Ditch Plains Road, Montauk, NY 11954 - Ditch Plains Beach is a popular spot for surfers. On a bad day, the beach could see at least 50-plus surfers. On a good day, good luck finding room for yourself out in the water. Restrooms, two concession trailers, outdoor showers and sand wheelchairs are available.
- South Lake Beach - Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - This beach faces Lake Montauk and is accessible to town residents with a town permit. Swimming is prohibited, but a comfort station is available, as well as picnic tables.
Boating & Fishing
Montauk is the home of one of the largest commercial and recreational fisheries. Montauk offers many boating options such as boat rentals for those who enjoy sailing, kayaking, and fishing. Go out to the sea in a charter boat or get a boat rental and take part in catching some fluke, bluefish, sea bass, striped bass, swordfish and even shark! If you plan on going on your own, be sure not to get caught without a fishing license. But, if you are going out on a party boat, they got you reeled in and covered with their party boat fishing license.
- Montauk Marine Basin - 426 West Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Located only minutes from Montauk Inlet, this full service marina offers complete facilities for 150 boats and all of your fishing needs. Montauk Marine Basin is also close to all the main attractions in the area!
- Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina - 32 Star Island Road, Montauk, NY 11954 - This upscale waterfront resort features 107 rooms and villas along with a 232 slip marina.
- Montauk Lake Club & Marina - 211 East Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - The Montauk Lake Club is a sport fisherman’s paradise, supporting Montauk’s world renown reputation as the premier place for Long Island fishing. Located midway down the protected eastern shore of Montauk’s safe harbor, the Club provides an easily accessible deep water marina to keep your boat.
- Montauk Sportsman Dock - 414 West Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Also known as Montauk's Friendliest Marina, Montauk Sportsmans Dock is on the West side of Montauk Harbor only a few hundred yards from the harbor entrance. Whether you need dockage for your boat on a seasonal basis, or if you're just passing through Montauk on an extended cruise, this dock is the perfect choice for a quiet, cozy environment during your stay.
- Star Island Marina - 59 Star Island Road, Montauk, NY 11954 - Boaters and fishers come from all over the Island and up and down the East Coast to enjoy the excitement of seasonal sport fishing and access to an extensive fleet of charter boats. No marina in the area offers more facilities and services.
- Uihlein’s - 444 West Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Located in Montauk Harbor, Uihlein's Marina, Motel, & Boat Rentals has a fleet of 18 boats as well as 8 jet skis available for rental. Trained instructors will ensure you have a terrific time while staying safe.
- West Lake Marina - 352 West Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Home to 17 of Montauk's finest sportfishing charter boats, book a fishing trip through their Charter Service. This marina also offers seasonal and transient docking, a fully-stocked tackle shop, all inshore and offshore baits, bulk ice and more!
Too busy to take a vacation this summer? Do you have a low-budget but are looking for something to do? Want a few hours to just relax and get away from reality? Take a two hour evening Sunset Cruise and experience the beautiful scenery of the sun setting on the water as well as the lighthouse. You can go with your family, bring a whole crew with you, or have a romantic night with that special someone.
A long day of fun in the sun in the ocean water can really wipe you out . Surfed up an appetite? Enjoy the local seafood freshly fished up from the luxury of our own port. Don’t like fish? With a variety of restaurants from gourmet to fine dining to a simple slice of pizza, there is something for everyone. If the weather is a little cool, get cozy inside a restaurant. For those who like the night sky can enjoy their meal outside in the warm summer nights with the ocean view.
- The Sea Grille at Gurney’s Inn - 290 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - The Sea Grill at Gurney's Inn serves fine seafood in an elegant dining atmosphere suitable for weddings and private engagements overlooking the ocean in Montauk.
- West Lake Clam & Chowder House - 352 W Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954 - Located on the waters in Montauk for 12 years, this venue is famous for its seafood dishes.
- John’s Pancake House - 721 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - John's Pancake House is a popular family breakfast and brunch restaurant in Montauk.
- Point Bar & Grill - 697 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954 - The Point Bar and Grill in Montauk specializes in steaks and seafood, served in a casual dining atmosphere.
- Montauk Coffee Shop - 710 Main St., Montauk, NY 11954 - Get the perfect jumpstart to your day at the Montauk Coffee Shop.
Planning on staying awhile? Find the perfect place for you to kick back and relax in Montauk by choosing the right hotel for you including bed and breakfasts. Looking to stay for more than just a while? Enjoy the oceanfront and luxury of the sun at your own privacy by renting out a vacation house. Those who are local can even enjoy the company of their friends and families or simply the beautiful view of the ocean.
- Gurney’s Inn Resort - 290 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954
- The Panoramic View - 272 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954
- Wave Crest Resort - Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954
- Montauk Manor Resort - 236 Edgemere Street, Montauk, NY 11954
- Montauk Yacht Club Resort - 32 Star Island Road, Montauk, NY 11954
- Ocean Beach Resort - 108 South Emerson Avenue, Montauk, NY 11954
- Royal Atlantic Beach Resorts - South Edgemere Road, Montauk, NY 11954
- Shepards Country Inn - Second House Road, Montauk, NY 11954
- Lido Resort Motel - 5 South Emery Street, Montauk, NY 11954
- Beachcomber Motel - 727 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954