Elmont, NY - May 4, 2016 - Thousands of racing fans from throughout the region will journey to Belmont Park on Saturday, May 7 in conjunction with the New York Racing Association's celebration and live simulcast of the Kentucky Derby, featuring Kentucky-themed cuisine, a wing festival, and numerous family activities.
Saturday, May 7, Kentucky Derby Day at Belmont Park
- Breakfast at Belmont: The Breakfast at Belmont program returns from 7 - 9 a.m., enabling guests to enjoy a breakfast buffet in the Belmont café while watching thoroughbreds train on the main track. Following breakfast, attendees are invited to take a free tram ride tour (weather permitting) through the stable area, enjoy a free paddock show, and participate in a free starting gate demonstration. At the conclusion of breakfast, Belmont Park will briefly close and admission gates will re-open at 10 a.m. for admittance for the day's events and live racing program.
- Derby Day: Horseplayers and racing fans from across the region will travel to Belmont Park on Saturday, May 2 for a live simulcast of the Kentucky Derby. Admission gates at Belmont Park open at 10 a.m.
- Live Racing: Live racing commences at 12:45 p.m., and features a 12-race card. Highlights include the running of three graded stakes races: Grade 2 Sheepshead Bay, Grade 3 Fort Marcy, and Grade 3 Westchester. Reserved seats are available for $10, including admission and can be purchased by calling 844-NYRA-TIX. Box seats are available for $15 each, including admission, and can be purchased by calling 718-659-2226
- Food and Fun: Derby Day is Family Fun Day at Belmont Park, featuring face painting, pony rides and a petting zoo for guests of all ages from 12 - 4 p.m.
- Ultimate Wing Fest:. Attendees on track can participate in an 'Ultimate Wing Festival' contest from 1 - 5 p.m. in which individuals can enjoy chicken wings from local area restaurants, craft beer, cider, wine, and live music. Unlimited beer and wings tickets are available in advance for $45. Please visit here
- Gourmet Dining: Guests can enjoy premium hospitality with a special upscale buffet in the Garden Terrace Restaurant for $75 per person. Deal includes admission, tax, gratuity, and a Post Parade program.
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Tasting: A special Woodford Reserve Tasting will take place in Belmont Park's spacious backyard from 2 - 4 p.m.
- College Day: Representatives of more than a dozen colleges throughout the New York City metropolitan region will be on hand for NYRA's annual College Day, taking place from 12 - 6 p.m. Cash prizes will be awarded to students and the first 500 attendees will receive a t-shirt and $5 betting voucher.
About the New York Racing Association (NYRA)
Founded in 1955 and franchised to run thoroughbred racing at New York's three major tracks (Aqueduct Racetrack, Belmont Park, and Saratoga Race Course) through 2033, the New York Racing Association's mission is "Meeting the highest standards in thoroughbred racing and equine safety." With a lineage of nearly 150 years, NYRA tracks are the cornerstone of New York State's thoroughbred industry, which contributes more than $2 billion annually to its urban, suburban and rural economy.
NYRA tracks are proud to be accredited by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) Safety & Integrity Alliance. Leading the industry in safety and welfare initiatives, NYRA tracks have earned "best practice" ratings in virtually every primary area examined by the Alliance since 2009.
In 2015, more than 1.75 million people attended live races at NYRA tracks. Factoring in nationwide off-track wagering, the average daily betting handle on NYRA races totaled nearly $11 million. For more information, visit www.NYRA.com. Stay connected with New York Racing by following NYRA on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.