Suffolk County, NY - March 27, 2015
The Explorer Experience
Exploring's purpose is to provide experiences to help young people mature and become responsible and concerned adults. Explorer programs emphasize career opportunities, life skills, citizenship, character education and leadership. Participating in the Explorer program can help you determine whether a career in law enforcement is right for you and give you a head start on the competition. The Suffolk County SPCA is currently accepting applications for the position of Humane Law Enforcement Explorer. Classroom instruction and field training is provided at low or no cost. Explorers will serve as members of the Suffolk County SPCA Law Enforcement Explorer Program and will train in multiple areas and situations including:
- Evidence, Search and Seizures
- Arrests, Miranda and Article 35
- Witnesses, Interviews and Crime Scenes
- Conflict Resolution
- Defensive Tactics
- First Aid/CPR
- Animal Law
- Dogfighting Recognition and Prevention
- Animal Hoarding
- Abuse Prevention and Education
- Animal Abuse as a Gateway Crime
- Cyclical and Correlated Abuse - The connection between animal abuse, domestic violence and child abuse.
In order to remain in good standing with the Suffolk County SPCA Explorer Post, members are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Attend classes and field training two times per month. Classes are held at the Suffolk County Police Academy
- Participate in at least one community outreach or fundraising event per month such as Rabies Clinics other SPCA community events.
- Correctly wear program uniform and comply with the Suffolk County SPCA code of conduct.
The Suffolk County SPCA Explorer program is open to young adults ages 14 and graduated from eighth grade through 20 or age 15 through 20 years old.
Applicants must pass a criminal background check and undergo a complete character assessment. Applicants must possess and maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and remain in good academic standing for the duration of participation.
Scholarship programs for those interested in law enforcement careers. Participation in Explorer conferences.
Wednesday April 1st, 7pm at the Suffolk County Police Academy, Brentwood, NY. Room 307.
"Protecting Suffolk County's animals is the only job we do!"