Hauppauge & Smithtown, NY - January 2, 2016 - The Suffolk County Police Highway Patrol Bureau and the New York State Police arrested five people during an overnight sobriety checkpoint and DWI saturation patrol in the Hauppauge and Smithtown areas.
Police officers from the Suffolk County Police Highway Patrol Bureau and the New York State Police conducted a sobriety checkpoint at the Shoprite Shopping Center, 335 Route 347, Hauppauge. A total of 564 vehicles went through the checkpoint. Additionally, DWI saturation patrols were conducted on the Route 111 and Route 347 corridors in the vicinity of the checkpoint. The operation was conducted for the prevention of injuries and fatalities associated with driving while ability impaired by alcohol and drugs, particularly during the New Year’s Day Holiday weekend.
The following person was charged with Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs:
- Victoria Kelly, 23, of Holbrook
The following person was charged with Driving While Ability Impaired by Alcohol:
- Elvis Valerio, 27, of the Bronx
Kelly and Valerio will be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on January 2.
The following individuals were given Field Appearance tickets to appear at First District Court in Central Islip at a later date:
- Daniel Olsen, 20 , of Smithtown, was arrested for Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th Degree:
- Sebastian Skaar, 22, of Port Jefferson, was arrested for Unlawful Possession of Marijuana
- Amanda Mullen, 27, of Coram, was arrested for Unlawful Possession of Marijuana
A criminal charge is an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.