- Measure: Figure out where in your home you want to showcase your tree.
- Picking a Healthy Tree: When you find a tree you like, shake it and see if the needles come off; if too many do, the tree is not healthy.
- Trunk: There should be no curves in the trunk of the tree, so make sure it is straight.
- Base: Should be six inches long; plan on cutting an inch off to make sure tree can absorb water.
- Water: Keep a the base of the tree in a bucket of water. The tree will absorb a lot of water, so check daily. Water prevents the tree from drying out and dying.
- Keep Away from Heat: Be sure you do not place your tree near radiators or heaters. This can be a potential fire hazard.
- Keep Pets Away: Your pets might want to jump and climb the tree; this can be potentially dangerous for your pet or cause damage in your home. Note that many trees might be poisonous to pets as well.
- Turn Off Lights: When you are not home or going to bed, be sure to turn off the lights on the tree.
- Don’t Overload Your Tree: Some trees can handle heavy ornaments while others cannot. Be sure to research tree species before buying.
Now that you know how to pick the right tree and maintain it, here are some great places where you can buy your trees this year:
- Mike's Christmas Tree Farm - 323 Weeks Avenue, Manorville (631) 874-3551
- Lewin Farm - 812 Sound Avenue, Wading River (631) 929-4327
- Santa's Christmas Tree Farm - 30105 Main Road, Cutchogue (631) 734-8641
- Elwood Christmas Tree Farm - 1500 E. Jericho Turnpike, Huntington (631) 368-8626
- Dart's Christmas Tree Farm - 2355 Main Bayview Road, Southold (631) 765-4148
- Carter Christmas Tree Farm - 123 North Country Road, Miller Place (631) 331-4699
- Matt's Christmas Tree Farm - 309 Weeks Avenue, Manorville (631) 874-6260
- Shamrock Christmas Tree Farm - 20685 Main Road, Mattituck (631) 298-4619
- Tilden Lane Farm - 48 Wyckoff Street, Greenlawn (631) 261-6392
What type of tree do you like to use? What is your favorite species of tree to buy? Share your thoughts in the comments below!