'Tis the season for giving! The holiday season is not only giving and receiving gifts, but giving to those in need, and supporting those within the local community that be less fortunate, or experiencing hard times. At offices and schools across Long Island, you've probably seen collections set up for the numerous donation drives asking for canned food and clothing, but there are more options what need to be considered when donating, and no matter what you have to give, there's a group that can use your help - whether that donation be in the form of time, money, or supplies.
Right here on Long Island, there are still many people still struggling after Hurricane Sandy, and although the one year anniversary of the storm has just passed, there are still families that need your support now more than ever before.
With Thanksgiving fast approaching, food pantries are still in great need of more donations this year in order to supply families in need with a holiday meal, as well as basic sustenance during the rest of the month.
Like to run? Turkey Trots are happening throughout the month and the proceeds for many of these events are supporting a variety of local charities.
It really does not matter which charity you may choose to donate this holiday season - there are countless great causes that need your support, and it's true that help can come in all shapes and sizes. As long as your donations are meaningful, you will make more of an impact than you may think.
Check out the many charities on Long Island and these charity events this holiday season:
- Every Child's Dream Clothing Drive - Mt. Sinai - Nov. 19th to Dec. 6th
- Friendly's Benefit RSVP Animal Welfare & Rescue Group - Hampton Bay - Nov. 20th
- Fourth Annual Harvest Sunset Dinner - Holbrook - Nov. 21
- 4th Annual "One Warm Coat" Coat Drive - West Islip - Nov. 23
- St. Jude Give Thanks Walk - Central Islip - Nov. 23
- Family Glow Walk/Run and Toy Drive - Sayville - Nov. 24
- Celebration Dinner For Helping Kids Stay In Sports - Farmingdale - Dec. 11
How will you give back this holiday season? Tell us in the comments below!
Are you hosting a charity event this holiday season? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be sure to add you to this guide!