Katie's of Smithtown
145 West Main Street, Smithtown (631) 360-8556
Say hi to bartender Charlie Klein who is about 115 years old. He may be missing a limb or two and he might knock a few glasses off the shelves. The property has a long history dating back to 1909.
Kings Park Psychiatric Center
Established in 1885 on more than 800 acres of land, this is a mini city of restless, anguished souls. Once home to more than 9,000 patients. Some of the buildings have been knocked down last month. Please note that this haunted location is not open to the public, although you can drive through parts of the property.
Mount Misery Road, Huntington
Mt. Misery starts at the intersection of Broad Hollow Road/Route 110 and Sweet Hollow Road and ends near Jericho Turnpike. There are many legends of what happened here.
Amityville Horror House
112 Ocean Avenue, Amityville
The book and movie made this address quite famous. Please note that this haunted location is not open to the public, and is a private residence.
Fire Island Lighthouse
4640 Captree Island, Captree Island (631) 661-4876
The original lighthouse, standing 74 feet high, was constructed of stone in 1826 and served as a beacon to distressed whaling and merchant ships for about 30 years. It was replaced by the current lighthouse, built in 1858, which is rumored to be haunted by a curator who committed suicide prior to its resurrection.
Route 25, Cutchogue
The farmhouse was built in 1704. On June 2, 1854, it became the site of a brutally vicious slaying. James and Frances Wickham, along with a 14-year-old servant boy, were axe-murdered in their bedrooms by a 21-year-old Irish farmhand named Nicholas Behan who, following an intense manhunt, according to The New York Times archives, was discovered hiding in nearby woods, put on trial, hung and buried in an unmarked grave. Descendents witnessed a ghost standing over their bed in 1988.
The lake is awash with legends and stories, from tales it’s infested with piranha to the belief it is bottomless and has magical healing powers.
Morgan Hall Route 107, Glen Cove Built in 1910, the former estate of financial tycoon J.P. Morgan is haunted by the ghost of his young daughter Alice, who succumbed to typhoid fever in the mansion.
Country House Restaurant
1175 North Country Road, Stony Brook (631) 751-3332
The old farmhouse was built in 1710 and was a stagecoach station in the late 1800's. The spirit of a young woman hanged by the British as a spy during the Revolutionary War is still there.
Raynham Museum Hall
20 West Main Street, Oyster Bay (516) 922-6808
Used by the British during the Revolutionary War, is said to be haunted by former inhabitants Sally Townsend and British Lt. Col. John Graves Simcoe, who were in love with each other. Another spirit rumored to roam its grounds is that of British Major John Andre, who was hung for treason when he and Benedict Arnold's plot was foiled.
Do you know of other haunted places? Let us know at Long Island.com Forum!