The Press Release...News Release...or just plain "Release" is a written vehicle to get your message across to the media.
Only use a "News Release" when you want to publicize something that is timely, newsworthy and factual!
Here are some tips to help you get better results:
* In the first two paragraphs, always answer the who, what, why, when, where and how of the story.
* Structure the release like an inverted pyramid, with the most important information first, followed by the least important information.
* Be brief. Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Where possible, use action words.
* Use quotes up front. Preferably within the second or third paragraph.
* "Fluff" belongs in quotations only! Leave out of your main story.
* The headline should sum up your story in just a few words. Try using words like, "New," "First Time," etc. If your product or service is new and different, that will help capture the editors attention.
* Lastly, the release should be no longer than three double-spaced pages.
# # #
(c) Hilary JM Topper 2000