Weather Alert  

"Flash Flood Watch" ...Flash Flood Watch in effect from 8 PM EDT this evening through Friday afternoon... The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a * Flash Flood Watch for portions of southern Connecticut... northeast New Jersey and southeast New York...including the following southern Connecticut...northern Fairfield...northern Middlesex...northern New Haven...northern New London...southern Fairfield...southern Middlesex... southern New Haven and southern New London. In northeast New Jersey...eastern Bergen...eastern Essex...eastern Passaic... eastern Union...Hudson...western Bergen...western Essex... western Passaic and western Union. In southeast New York... Bronx...Kings (Brooklyn)...New York (Manhattan)...northeastern Suffolk...northern Nassau...northern Queens...northern Westchester...northwestern Suffolk...Orange...Putnam... Richmond (staten island)...Rockland...southeastern Suffolk... southern Nassau...southern Queens...southern Westchester and southwestern Suffolk. * From 8 PM EDT this evening through Friday afternoon * showers and thunderstorms will be moving into the region from the west early this evening and will overspread the region by late tonight. Showers and thunderstorms will continue into Friday morning and begin to taper off from west to east during Friday afternoon. There is the potential for periods of heavy rainfall this evening into Friday afternoon. * The axis of heaviest rain remains uncertain. this time the heaviest rain is forecast to extend from northeastern New Jersey into the lower Hudson Valley...New York City...and southern Connecticut. Rainfall totals of 2 to 4 inches are possible...with localized higher amounts possible. The main threat is flash flooding of low lying...poor drainage...and urbanized areas. Smaller flashier streams may also flood. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation. You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should flash flood warnings be issued. -- Thursday Jul.28 16,06:00 PM

Income Tax Filing Deadline Is Here, Get Extra Time to File!

If you haven't filed your income taxes yet and don't think you can meet the April 15 deadline, here's what you need to know!

Print Email

If you haven’t looked at the calendar yet, today’s the deadline to file income taxes!

For those of you who have filed, you probably received your tax refund, or it should be coming soon. For those of you who are freaking out, and can’t believe April 15 has arrived, don’t worry just yet – you can get extra time to file.

The IRS estimates there will be about 12 million taxpayers who don’t make the deadline, and instead request for extra time to file.

Requesting an extension with the IRS gives taxpayers an extra 6 months to file, or the deadline of October 15. A request for tax-filing extension can be done with Form 4868. An extension does not mean you get extra time to pay taxes owed, but rather extra time to file your tax return paperwork.

When you file Form 4868 through the Free File link on, you must estimate your tax liability and pay any amount due. The process is completed in a matter of minutes with payment on taxes owed accepted using a debit or credit card, by inputting your bank routing number and account number or by check or money order in the mail (postmarked April 15). Your accountant or paid tax preparer may also request for an extension for you.

By filing for an extension, you avoid heavy penalties. There’s a 5 percent charge per month on unpaid taxes owed (maximum penalty capped at 25 percent) and interest, which is currently 3 percent. Everything begins to accrue on April 16.

Keep in mind that when filing Form 4868, if you miscalculate the amount of tax owed, there’s still going to be penalties and fees for what’s due, but the penalty will be .5 percent instead of the hefty 5 percent for not filing at all.

For those of you who haven’t filed your income tax return yet, don’t procrastinate any further – at least file for an extension and estimate payment for taxes owed, if any.

[Source: IRS]