Sunny, summer days on Long Island are superb. You can dig your toes into the sand at the beach, board a charter boat and cruise around the Island, and walk around at a park, observing the beauty of nature. The kids can run around at sprinkler parks, go pet animals at the zoo, and try to get a hole-in-one while playing mini-golf.
Unfortunately, every day cannot be a sunny, summer day. This doesn’t have to lessen sunny spirits though! Whether you choose to stay in or go out, rain or shine there are always plenty of things to do on Long Island.
So don’t let the weather rain on your parade - here are some fun rainy day activities.
Bowl A Strike – Work on your game and play a few rounds of bowling with the family or some friends!
Go Swimming – Just because it’s raining outside doesn’t mean you have to give up your swimming time. Why not visit an indoor public pool, take a dip, and get wet inside while everyone else is getting wet outside.
Play Laser Tag – Make teams, get on your gear, then get into the arena to see which team can get in the most shots during laser tag.
Visit A Museum – Make it an educational but fun day by visiting a Long Island museum.
Get Some Grub – Instead of making and eating food at home go out to a favorite, or perhaps try a new, restaurant. Let them worry about all of the work and preparations. You just sit back, relax, and enjoy your food.
Catch A Flick – Now is the time for those big summer blockbuster movies that everyone looks forward to, take this crummy weather and turn it into an opportunity to catch a movie that you’ve been meaning to see.
If you’d rather spend your rainy day in the comforts of home, don’t worry, there is still loads of fun to be had.
- Indulge yourself and watch some guilty pleasure TV shows.
- Stir up some friendly competition with a day full of playing board games.
- Using what ingredients you already have at home, throw together an inventive, new recipe.
- Rearrange your closet. You can do it by color or type, not only will you have fun you’ll also get in some quality cleaning. It’s a win-win!
- Start reading a new book. Check out our kids, teen, and adult summer reading guides for suggestions!
What are some other activities you like to do, and places you like to go, on a rainy day? Tell us in the comments!