Nothing beats sitting outside in the summer and getting lost in a thought provoking story, or curling up with a good book on the couch and enjoying the air conditioning on those unbearably hot days. Books, both fiction and non-fiction alike, have the ability to transport their readers to a new time and place with new perspectives with which to see the world. So even if you can’t take that summer vacation you were hoping for you can still travel somewhere new as you flip through the pages of a captivating story.
Head out to the library, visit your local bookstore, or pull out your e-reader, and kick back and relax and fill in the free moments of your time this summer with one of these contemporary best-selling book titles.
- Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt by Michael Lewis
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez: The story follows the Rivera family as they move to Delaware from Mexico City to seek better possibilities and opportunities after their 15 year old daughter suffers an accident that may change her forever. The varying chapter points of view are brilliantly done, they help form a sense of the neighborhood that the Rivera family have entered and build a sense of community with all of the inhabitants and their personal experiences living in America.
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald
- China Dolls by Lisa See
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- Redeployment by Pkil Klay
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin: A lovely homage to reading and bibliophiles, this book centers around A.J. Fikry, an owner of a small independent book store who has recently been going through a rough patch in his life. Through his narrative A.J. shares his experiences of loss, bitterness, and then ultimately hope. Book lovers will also really enjoy the way the main character constantly references his favorite pieces of literature when communicating about his own life experiences and thoughts.
- Birdmen: The Wright Brothers, Glenn Curtiss, and the Battle to Control the Skies by Lawrence Goldstone
What are some other notable book titles you just cannot put down this summer?