Albany, NY - September 20th, 2013 - The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 20 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
"Survival of these noteworthy places is crucial in preserving the great diversity of New York's communities," said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. "Placing these landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places will offer well-deserved recognition along with tools to help them last into the future."
Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.
STATE REVIEW BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS
Cattaraugus Commercial Historic District, Cattaraugus – the district encompasses the historic commercial corridor of the village after it was rebuilt following a devastating fire in 1888 with less flammable, brick buildings, maintaining its importance as a commercial and social hub.
Leon Grange, Leon – Constructed in 1903, the modest two-story building served for decades as the primary meeting place for the local farming community and members of the local grange – and is now home of the Leon Historical Society.
James Keith House and Brown-Morey-Davis Farm, Newport – the two properties are both notable as distinctive limestone residences, built ca. 1815, which reflect how local craftsmen took advantage of the Kuyahoora Valley's abundant limestone to build fashionable residents as the region's farmers prospered after the American Revolution.
New York Navy Yard (Brooklyn Navy Yard), Brooklyn - Established in 1801 and in operation for 160 years, the navy yard is one of the nation's six original federal shipyards and represents seven distinct periods of naval history. At its height during World War II, it was the world's largest shipyard, employing over 75,000 workers, who built three battleships, two floating workshops, eight tank landing ships, five aircraft carriers, countless barges and lighters, as well as converted more than 250 ships for war duty.
Jewish Center of Coney Island, Brooklyn – built between 1929 and 1931, the Renaissance Revival/Semitic style center is significant for its association with the development of Brighton Beach as a new, middle-class residential neighborhood with a substantial Jewish population in the 1920s.
Kismet Temple, Brooklyn – the 1909 Moorish Revival style building is thought to be the oldest Freemason Shriners' mosque still intact as well as the first in New York City.
Carter-Feasel House, Henrietta – Built around1866, the Carter-Feasel House is a rare example of plank construction in Monroe County. The residence was also home to two Civil War veterans, David Carter, who was wounded during the siege of Petersburg, and Florendin Feasel, a German immigrant who was extremely proud of his service to his adopted homeland and hosted several reunions of his regiment at the property.
John White House, Brockport – built sometime after 1821 and owned by five generations of the White family, the house was enlarged to accommodate successive generation of the family and to reflect the later owner's increased prosperity.
Adams-Chadeayne-Taft Estate, Cornwall-on-Hudson – the property includes an 1844 brick Italianate style house built for industrialist and inventor Nathaniel Adams, an earlier ca. 1800 frame house, and the ruins of the Clark Stoneware Works, a pottery factory operated at the site as early as 1793.
Neversink Valley Grange No. 1530, Huguenot – Built in 1934, this grange chapter served as a valuable social and educational center for many Deerpark citizens and offers a tangible link to the agricultural history of the Neversink Valley in the 20th century.
Kingsford Historic District, Oswego – the residential neighborhood developed during the second half of the 19th century and reflects the City of Oswego's growth during this period, when it became a thriving commercial and industrial center. The district is named for the Kingsford family, founder of the Oswego Starch Factory, a major driver of industrial development in Oswego.
Theta Xi Chapter House, Troy – The 1931 Tudor Revival style building embodies the fraternity house type, with its various social spaces, its industrial kitchen, and its large number of small bedrooms – and continues to look and function much the way it did when completed.
Searle Gardner & Company Collar & Cuff Factory, Troy – Built 1898-99, in response to increasing demand and growing competition within Troy's the collar-and-cuff industry, it is a characteristic example of "mill construction."
St. Lawrence County
Hopkinton Green Historic District, Hopkinton – The district includes the public green that Hopkinton's founder, Roswell Hopkins, deeded to the town in 1808 "in the consideration of his good will and respect" for his fellow citizens and as well as the Town Hall, built in 1870, and the Congregational Church, built in 1892.
Guastavino House, Bay Shore – the elaborately tiled 1914 home was the residence of Rafael Guastavino Jr., an innovator in the architecture and building techniques of fireproofing and structural tile in America; it is also the site where he experimented with different glazing and firing techniques in the onsite detached garage.
Noah Hallock House, Rocky Point – a classic example of an 18th-century "Cape Cod" type dwelling, significant for its association with the eighteenth-century settlement of Rocky Point by the Hallock family and the contributions of five subsequent generations of Hallocks, who contributed to the evolution of the community through their public service, farming and maritime practices.
Riverside Cemetery, Appalachin – as an active cemetery created in 1802 by European settlers arriving in the region after the American Revolution, Riverside reflects the changing styles of tombstone design and funeral art over more than two centuries of continuous use.
Brooklyn & Queens Transit Trolley No. 1000, Kingston – the Art Deco style trolley was built with a sleek modern look to appeal to commuters at a time when the popularity of trolley transportation was declining due to competition from automobiles and buses and served New York City's transit system from 1937 until 1956. It is a very rare example of its type.
St. James Episcopal Church, Lake George – built in 1866-67 to replace an edifice which collapsed during a storm, the stone church is a highly intact example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture.
Irvington Historic District, Irvington – the village reflects the transportation, shopping patterns and architectural styles of the late 19th century and was shaped by many prominent citizens who resided in the area, including George Morgan, a founder of JP Morgan, Alexander Hamilton's son James, and Washington Irving, the distinguished writer after whom the village is named.