Albany, NY - August 10, 2015 - Today, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Commissioner Dr. Bassett and New York State Commissioner of Health Dr. Zucker gave an update on the outbreak Legionnaires’ disease in the Bronx. All testing is done by a single laboratory run by the state of New York, the Wadsworth Laboratory located in Albany, and as such all information is uniform and coordinated.
As of today, a total of 11 sites have tested positive for legionella within the impact zone. Additionally, 4 sites have previously tested positive for legionella outside of the impact zone that are not related to the outbreak in the South Bronx.
Today an additional three sites have tested positive for legionella that were identified as a result of testing done by the state over the weekend outside the impact zone and not necessarily related to the outbreak in the South Bronx.
In combination, to date a total of 18 sites have been identified inside and outside of the impact zone.
Regardless of test results, every cooling tower identified in the impact zone has been immediately ordered disinfected and remediated, and any site that has tested positive has been immediately ordered disinfected and remediated.
Below is a list of the sites within the zone that has been identified as of today.
- Concourse Plaza, 198 E. 161st. St.
- Opera House Hotel, 436 E. 149 St.
- Lincoln Hospital, 234 E. 149th St.
- Streamline Plastics, 2950 Park Ave.
- Daughters of Jacob Nursing Home, 1160 Teller Ave.
- Post Office, 558 Grand Concourse
- Verizon, 117 E. 167th St.
- Bronx Housing Courts, 1118 Grand Concourse
- NYC Department of Education 455 Southern Boulevard. Also called Samuel Gompers High School.
- DHS PATH Intake Center, 151 East 151st Street.
- Bronx Hall of Justice, 245 E 161ST Street
The following sites have been identified as testing positive but are outside the impact zone and not related to the outbreak:
- Verizon, 1106 Hoe Ave.
- Police Dept., 1086 Simpson St.
- 1201 Lafayette Ave.
- 230 East 123rd St.
The 3 sites outside of the impact zone identified today will be released shortly.