Long Island, NY - May 2, 2016 - It’s not too late to register to volunteer at a state park this Saturday for the fifth annual I Love My Park Day.
I Love My Park Day is an exciting statewide event to improve and enhance New York’s state parks and historic sites and bring visibility to the entire state park system and its needs. Volunteers at more than 100 state parks and historic sites across New York will participate in cleanup, improvement, and beautification events at New York State parks, historic sites and public lands. Volunteers will celebrate New York’s state park system by cleaning up park lands and beaches, planting trees and gardens, restoring trails and wildlife habitat, removing invasive species, and working on various site improvement projects.
More than 20 family-friendly events are planned across Long Island on May 7. Volunteers are especially needed to assist with cleanup projects at Hallock State Park Preserve and Orient Beach State Park.
With a surge in visitation to over 65 million people annually, volunteers are more important than ever to keep parks beautiful, clean, and welcoming for all to visit and enjoy. I Love My Park Day is a fun way for all New Yorkers to do their part.
I Love My Park Day is coordinated at the statewide level by Parks & Trails New York (PTNY) in partnership with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). At the park level, Friends groups and park staff oversee cleanup, improvement and beautification projects and work with volunteers.
The following is a list of I Love My Park Day events happening on Long Island on May 7:
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum State Park – 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Belmont Lake State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Bethpage State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Caleb Smith State Park Preserve – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Captree State Park – 9:00 am - 02:30 pm
- Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve – 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Connetquot River State Park Preserve – 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Fire Island National Seashore – 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Hallock State Park Preserve – 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Heckscher State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Hempstead Lake State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Jones Beach State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Montauk Point State Park – 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Nissequogue River State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Orient Beach State Park – 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Robert Moses State Park – 9:00 am - 02:30 pm
- Sunken Meadow State Park (Alfred E. Smith) – 9:30 am - 2:00 pm
- Valley Stream State Park – 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site – 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Wildwood State Park – 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
For more information on I Love My Park Day and to register, click here!